Saturday, February 17, 2007

K F But No C

This is a true story.

Last weekend the girls and I decided we were in desperate need of some food. But not just any food. We were in the mood for that Southern Baptist staple. That's right......Fried Chicken.

It was only 9 o'clock at night, so we decided to head to the one place that we were sure to find the object of our desire. KFC. That would be- Kentucky Fried Chicken for those of you that have lived a sheltered life up until now.

Upon reaching the worlds most famous source of that secret recipe, golden battered and deep fried poultry goodness, we headed straight to the drive through window. Once there, I would like to say we were warmly greeted by a representative of KFC...but it would be more accurate to say we were confronted by a pink haired young woman who's name badge identified her as Shenikwa. One of KFC's finest, I'm sure. It was there that she delivered the saddest news this Southern girl will ever hear... and I quote..

" Uh Huh Girl, We Ain't Got No Chicken ".

HUH?

------------------------------------------------------
DID YOU KNOW?

More than a billion of the Colonels "finger lickin' good" dinners are served annually in more than 80 countries and territories around the world..... Just apparently not where I live.
------------------------------------------------------


My friend Z and I look at each other in disbelief, simultaneously thinking "Is she serious"?

I mean c'mon now...the sign says Kentucky Fried CHICKEN. Its in their name...they put it on their sign...ITS WHAT THEY DO... Isn't it?

Apparently Shenikwa could see the puzzled and confused looks on our faces....... So she turned to her fellow employee at the counter for confirmation of her previous statement.

"Yolanda..we got any more chicken"?

To which Yolanda replies...

"No girl...and we ain't making no more..we only gots an hour till we close".

WHAT????!!!!!

What does she mean only an hour?

-----------------------------------------------
DID YOU KNOW?

The Colonel believed that properly fried chicken should take at least 45 minutes. That was up until the discovery of the pressure cooker which reduced times considerably....... Just apparently not where I live.
------------------------------------------------

I admit we were temporarily stunned by this news...but decided not to let this minor setback prevent us from fulfilling our quest of finding some delicious golden fried crispy goodness.

However..after a futile search all over town that consisted of two more grocery stores and one Walmart deli...we had come to the sad conclusion that there was absolutely no fried chicken to be had in the entire city limits.

This revelation was disturbing on a number of levels. First of all as I pointed out already.... I live in the South and in what is considered the bible belt. Not trying to sound stereotypical here...But we are a fried chicken society. It is a staple...a mainstay of southerners and baptists alike. So how could a small southern town be completely out of chicken on the most important chicken eating night of the week....Sunday. Was this just poor planning on someones part? Possibly to much demand and not enough supply?

This may seem like a trivial thing to most of you...But in my family...and maybe in the south in general..Fried Chicken can be directly related to salvation itself. Half of the individuals in my family alone would have never found the lord if it wasn't for those Sunday fried chicken dinners at the church. While I don't think there are any direct quotes in the bible concerning the value of fried chicken and salvation going hand in hand...I can say that I personally have had what could be considered a religious experience eating when it.


That is until last Sunday..Black Sunday...The day of K F but NO C.


















Just not where I live...

18 comments:

Forzavryheid said...

DAMN YOU KFC!!!

Im sure its a violation of your Human Rights not to be served fried chicken on a Sunday in the Bible Belt.

Call the ACLU!!

Forzavryheid said...

NUM NUM NUM NUM FRIED CHICKEN!!

Jen said...

Adrian
I would like to think this wasnt a KFC policy as much as it was a failure of an employee to understand exactly who they were dealing with when denying us access to fried chicken. LOL

But either way..IT WAS WRONG!!!

RobC said...

I abstain from KFC... maybe a thigh once a year... Now a Steers Burger... at least once a week! :-)

Jen said...

Rob Rob Rob!!
First..I have to admit, Im shocked...How can you only eat just one thigh? Are you just opposed to poultry? Or have some religious or politcal issues with KFC?
*grin*

Now tell me..what is a "Steers Burger"?

katherine. said...

I'd be contacting KFC headquarters...or at least the district office. There is no way that should happen ANYWHERE...sheesh!!

Forzavryheid said...

ROBC: LOL!!

Im more of a Nandos man myself- but Id never say no to some KFC!! : )

STEERS....(drool)....

Back in the day I managed a Debonairs Pizza franchise - and got to eat some of the greatest pizza ever known to man or some Steers whenever I wanted...

The money may have sucked, but DAMN it was good food!!

STEERS- FLAME GRILLED, IT JUST TASTES BETTER.

http://www.steers.co.za

Ill be going back for some of that in less than two weeks!! : )

Jen said...

Katherine
I probably wont go to all the trouble of reporting them. Mainly because well..Im just simply to lazy to. Besides most of my righteous indignation has long since worn off....Now Im just down to the passive/agressive stage. And venting about them in the blog seems to be doing it for me.

At least until Im denied my next chicken fix...then who knows.

*smile*




Spanky

You are preachin to the choir on this one : )


Robc and Adrian
After asking questions concerning Steers Burgers...Adrian was kind enough to point me to their website...which I will admit looked very tastey and impressive.

I do however think it was unkind of you to taunt me with a food item that can only be located in SOUTH AFRICA!!!

SHAME ON YOU...SHAME.

Anonymous said...

I would rather have Church's or Popeye's than KFC. It's nasty. The wife likes their mashed potatoes though.

~Jef

Forzavryheid said...

JEN: My most sincere apologies...

You will sample the delicacies of the Cape soon enough I PROMISE. : )

Jen said...

edge
Well I suppose this means we will never run into each other at KFC. Or any other chicken establishment..because I personally dont care for Churches and rarely if ever do I go to Popeyes.

However..since your wife does like the Mashed Potatoes..its a comfort to know that she is the brains of the family.
*smile*

exMI said...

Popeyes is good, I like the Redbeans and rice. but for the best Fried chicken, Uncle Shug's. but you can only get that here.

Hey Jen, as a true daughter of the South Surely you could have fried your own chicken no?

Anonymous said...

Now. Did they run out of chicken or were they just not in the mood to put their efforts into making more.

I have been in tht position before where the workers just were not in "the mood" to make the stuff.

I too just gave up...at first I was mad as hell and gonna write a long letter to the owner. Now I wish I had. tht is the only KFC on the way to work and I avoid it entirely....never to set foot in it again. And it really is tooooo bad cause it was the fault of the workers and not the owner.

Send an email to the owner of tht KFC and see if it was the former or the latter. tht would not be tooooo much effort and it might be fun to follow the outcome. Sometimes a follow thru is just damned good fun.....inquiring minds would like to know.

I think it would be a hoot to get the answer.

Course odd of me to advise you since I did not take my own advice. oh well, typical mom eh?

Jen said...

exmi
Ahhhh a man who knows his chicken places. Yes the red beans and rice is very good. But I have to admite ignorance as to what an "Uncle Shugs" is. Is this one of those little mom and pop type resturants? Sometimes those places dont look like much on the outside but have the best food.

And just for the record..Yes I am a true daughter of the South..and Yes I have been schooled in the fine art of frying a chicken.

But I would like to point out that frying my own would require work..which is in direct conflict with my Non-profit Slacker life style. So you can see my delema here, Yes?

*grin*

Jen said...

mamabear
I wish that I could say that I was a crusader and righter of wrongs and injustices...but Im just not.

I suppose maybe if the issue was of greater importance than poor custumer service...I might dust off the cape and go to battle with the evil doers.

Sadly..we live in a very small town..we only have one KFC..the next one is at least a 22 mile drive. So more than likely when the mood hits..I will be back there again.

Yes they annoyed me and inconvienaced me..and completely killed the chicken dream for me that night..But I also think that the owner/management are to blame.

You hire people to represent you in public..You hire office managers who in turn are supposed to supervise and hire their staff. So if you have people who are making you look badly..Its more than likely because you arent paying enough attention to whats going on from the top of that food chain..No pun intended.
*smile*

Richie said...

This is a fowl story... Maybe you should get some celebrities to help you in your protest... What about Gwyneth Poultry?

Sorry!

Drew said...

Fried food is bad for you. That's what we call intervention by God himself. yup.

exMI said...

Ok Jen, where are you?