Saturday, October 14, 2006

Oh Deer

I have always liked having guys for friends....The way their minds work is completely fascinating to me. They are at times a mystery, very often a puzzle and usually a source of amusement....The way they can take their thought processes on this meandering bunny trail going from point A to point B and make it seem SO reasonable and logical is completely mind boggling.

Here is an example of what I mean...

The other day I'm talking on a the phone with a friend of mine. He says "Oh Jen, did I tell you about the deer"? No I say......We haven't spoken in a while..what deer? Well, he was out walking the dog in the pasture that's behind his apartment...There are woods that border the pasture and quite frequently he will see coyote out there at dusk. His dog suddenly stops marking things briefly to perk up......All of the hair on her neck and back was standing up..and she makes a noise.....(she doesn't bark, EVER, don't ask its a long story) My friend looks up and there standing about 12 or 13 feet away is a male deer. No horns yet..just buttons. They all just stand there staring at each other...

Ok let me cut to the chase..I know you are all dying to hear about the majesty and spender of this nature story unfolding.....but that's not what this is about. So let me fast forward this story.

The deer sticks around even after he sees my friend and his dog.. After the dog is tied up.....my friend is actually able to approach the deer close enough that the deer actually starts licking his hand!!!!

Now most of you are going "Awwww"......Yeah I know, I was too. Until he says.."You know I was thinking, if Id only had my bowie knife....I could have been eating deer for a month or so".

That snapped me right back to reality...I said..." WHAT"!!!?? You have got to be kidding me.

He said.... What?..I love venison. But yeah..I guess that would have been wrong huh? He says...Then I was thinking, I wonder how I can get a rope around its neck so I can take it home with me.

Again my mouth is hanging open....... WHAT???!!!! I'm shaking my head....You didn't?

He said... Nooo, I think the apartment management would have frowned on that.

NOOO....YAH THINK? (laughing)

Now just let me state for the record. This guy is an intelligent guy. He's well read..well traveled....educated..he has common sense. He was raised right, with two caring involved parents. So there is only one explanation for this type of thought process...He's a guy. Plain and simple.

Now, I don't think my friend would have actually taken that deer home with him to his apartment......aaannnnddd.......I don't believe that he would have gutted him for the meat either...Although now that I think about it....


I don't really know...do I?

Because, after all he IS a guy.....

AND I LIKE BAMBI.

10 comments:

Forzavryheid said...

*sniff*

Something smells of INNUENDO

Jen said...

Adrian
No, I dont think you would have slaughtered the deer.

Not that you would have been opposed to it, if someone else wanted to do it.

But the Braai and Beer fest that followed..that is definitely YOU!

*grin*

Reckless said...

I was pretty shocked. Whitetail deer are like ghosts. I've spent a lot of time hunting them and it's as if you can't really see them until they're dead. Then when I'm standing in the pasture and this little fellow is licking my hand, I'm completely stunned. He was so beautiful. Those big ol' eyes lookin up at me. Killing was a natural impulse for me because I'm so used to hunting them. But when he's so tame like that, how could I just kill him. That's when I started thinking about how I could keep him as a pet. In the end, I just left him and went home. It felt like a dream.

Jen said...

Joshua
I just love how guys think...A girl would have went Awwww and got all gushy about nature and beauty..yada yada yada.

But not a guy..First hes thinking Hey look hes licking my hand...Then...hmmm I wonder how this bad boy would taste BBQ'd. *laughing*

Thank you for sharing the story with me though. : )

exMI said...

Deer is good and it is the naturalrole of herbivores to be eaten. Dummy the deer tis going to walk up to some guy in a bit when deer season starts and it will all be over for him.

that being said, it is a cool story and I wouldn't have slughtered it at the moment either.

Anonymous said...

we are twins!!!!!!!!

1. i had like all guy friends in highschool cause girls are lame

b. i just wrote about bambi! and i haven't even been on here in a couple of days!

iii. you are the best.

Drew said...

I am deeply insulted about how you can comfortably lump all males together. Those shameful beasts that I am loosely tied to by that little Y chromosome are nothing like me! Of course, maybe that's not a good thing.

Jen said...

Jess
I know..Ive been thinking the same thing for a while now!


Drew
I would never presume to lump you into any sterotypical Y catagory.

But your a Buddist.....that pretty much has non-violent anti bambi killer written all over it.

But arent you the one who was involved in the "shoe incident" with the neighbors not to long ago???

You are still a guy..*grin*

Anonymous said...

My first thoughts would have been, BILTONG! Guess that makes me a guy...

Jen said...

robc
Yes it does.