Monday, September 11, 2006

Homesick For Places I Have Never Been

I have never made any secret of the fact that I'm a dreamer. This past year I have been extremely restless. I feel like there is something missing. But I have no idea exactly what it is. That all by itself leaves me feeling anxious and a little frustrated. Its like having something you want to say on the tip of your tongue and not being able to think of what it is. Does that make any sense?

Today I was looking at photos again and I started day dreaming. I was thinking of all the places I want to go. Of the people I miss and want to see. I've been having these long detailed day dreams where I am actually getting on a plane and starting my life over in a new place.

Maybe its a question of the grass always looking greener on the other side of the fence. Or maybe because I'm so restless that to me even the small things would seem like an adventure right now. When I start these day dreams, I can picture everything about them. I can imagine where I'm going, what I will be doing...who I will be with. I can see it all so clearly, just as if it were happening.

Some might say that day dreams and reality are two different things. That reality is never as good as the fantasy you imagine. Maybe this is true.

All I know is that lately when I think of those people and places and things that I day dream about..It makes me feel as if I were homesick.

But how can you be homesick for places you have never been?

6 comments:

Drew said...

I was reading some quotes in Songlines several years ago, and one said something to the effect that all man's problems stem from his inability to stay in one place. I think you should just take off. Either you'll find what you're looking for whether it's somewhere else or not. And do it before you get too commited to... whatever. I know that feeling all too well, and I can't indulge. Guess that's my 2 cents.

Forzavryheid said...

Couldnt have said it better myself.

exMI said...

It is easy to miss places yo haven't been. Or at least to REALLY want to see them and get it out of your system.
Take a week or two and go. Anywhere. It can be be done for alot less than most peopel think if you avoid touristy places and are willing to stay in local motels or hostels. (http://www.hiayh.org/)
HAve fun, write a good post or two while you are gone.

Forzavryheid said...

I hear Edinburgh is pretty good to visit this time of year... heck ANY time of year really!!

hint hint wink wink nudge nudge : )

JgStephan said...

But how can you be homesick for places you have never been? I have no answer, but it's the same with me and I'm so restless since some months.
Your photo blog is very nice. :)

Spankey said...

Consider this your "calling"; theological types feel/hear it, many good citizens of the countries they have been born in feel/hear the call to the military.

Answer the call in your lifetime, you will be better for it.