Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

Dear Anonymous,

I have not been blogging long..alittle over a year at best. But one of the things I have loved about writing a blog is that it allows me to express myself. Whether that expression comes in the form of a family story, a commentary on a current event, or maybe just venting about things in my life that I feel strongly about.

I have never minded if someone had a different view point than my own. In fact I am a very opinionated individual. So it would be very surprising to me if out of all the people who read my blog, each and every one of them agreed with me totally 100% of the time. I have never minded someone expressing their point of view on my blog, whether those points of view coincided with mine or not.

I can take criticism as well as the next person. In fact if it's done in a civil way I appreciate another person's view and their honesty in expressing it.

However...this is where I have a problem with your approach. First of all, you appear as Anonymous. So for whatever reason you have chosen to keep your name, age, gender and any other details of who you are a secret. Ok...that is your prerogative.

But from now on when you comment to me...Please do so on the subject I have written about. If you don't agree with my point of view its ok to say so. But do not judge the validity of what I have said on the basis that I am 20 years old, a female; or, as you put it, "too inexperienced to spout such opinions".

I realize you don't really know me...If you read my blog further you might get to know me better. But this is something I'd like to know about me. I do not smoke...or take drugs...I do drink but only in moderation...I do not have multiple sex partners...In fact, I do not have any at all at this point in my life. Having said that, I do not feel the need to go out and experience any of these things first hand to be able to comment on the fact that I feel they aren't right for me. Or, for that matter, pretty much anyone else participating in them. Nor do I think age will change my thinking.

Yes its just my opinion...and only mine. I speak now and will continue to speak in the future only for myself. If you have a problem with what I've said..because you disagree with my thinking that's fine. But don't dismiss what I have said because you think I am too young or inexperienced to have such thoughts or opinions.

You should judge a book by its contents...not by the age of its cover.

7 comments:

Jen said...

hulabelly
I agree. I wont say that time and experience doesnt change how you view the world and the things you want for your life.

In fact I am positive it does. But I think its important to decide what kind of person you want to strive to be. What kind of life are you going to choose to live.

There is nothing wrong with knowing where you stand.

exMI said...

I guess I missed a commnet somewhere.
Tell him/her off and invite them to never return.

Forzavryheid said...

I would very much like to introduce anonymous to Wilson.

Since when did having an opinion have an age restriction anyway??

Drew said...

word

Spankey said...

Anonymous is a clown hiding behind the sheild of his keyboard. Much like how people on the phone can be ignorant and beligerant since they are not face to face with thier opponent.

It is the age of the internet and everyone is entitled to your opinion...

Jess said...

You are soo right!

Anonymous said...

Crazy.