Monday, October 10, 2005

Tastes Just Like Chicken














I have heard that saying "Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you". I guess this is one such situation. A helicopter pilot and wild life researcher found a 13 foot python in the Florida Everglades that had apprarently burst after trying to swallow a 6 foot Alligator whole. That by itself gives a whole new meaning to indigestion. The thing I found interesting is that this is the 4th such documented incident in the past 3 years.

Scientists feel that that because the python is a top of the line predator and not a naturally found species in the Everglades that this could threaten the eco system of the Everglades. If pythons were to start consuming other wild life such as other smaller reptiles , squirrels, woodstorks, sparrows etc. That could and would throw things out of balance over time.

I would not have thought that pythons would have been significant in numbers to pose a problem to other life in the swamp...But according to what I have read, researchers have stated that over the years many pythons have been abandoned by their owners in the Everglades. While it is unknown the exact number that are in the Everglades competing with alligators, at least 150 have been caught over the last two years.

The researchers also state that a python 10-20 feet large could also pose a serious threat to a human, especially a child. Although they say its not an imminent threat and not time to worry about this yet.

YET? Ok speaking as a Native of the state where this is going on...I would like to ask when is the time to worry? Its not unusual to hear a story about some local person finding one of these snakes under someone's house or behind a store in a local neighborhood. So they can apparently adapt and live any where. If they fit into the Everglades eco system and were able to be controlled by a natural predator such as the alligator...Then I wouldn't be so concerned. But the fact that alligators don't always have the upper hand with these guys bothers me a little.

Yes I know, you hear about alligators being to closely connected to people too. That is our fault though. If we feed them and they become less afraid of humans as a result.. Then who do we have to blame when they start seeing our family pet Sparky....Or possibly the occasional golfer.. as a possible snack food. But.....At least this is a predator that is native to this state and the area it in habits. If handled properly it can and has been able to be controlled. Its presence isn't a threat to other species that inhabit the same area.

I guess it just concerns me when we introduce a plant or animal species that is not natural to this continent and then find out after the fact that "OOPS' probably shouldn't have done that. We have many such examples of that all through this country. Kudzoo vines in Georgia...That fish on the West Coast..Cant think of its name..Just to name a few.

At least with the alligator...They can be a food source. In fact they are quite tasty, just like chicken..YUMMMMMMM!

10 comments:

Jen said...

Jef
Yes I totally agree..Its a people problem not an animal one. This seems to be the case with most problems. For good or bad we are still at the top of the food chain and we seem to be our own worst enemy.

Jen said...

hulabelly
I know..Im not comfortable with any animal that gets that big that could possible want to consume me..I wonder if you can eat pythons?...How would you cook something like that? lol

Im glad to hear youre not going to quit blogging..I will definitly be back for a visit. : )

Jenn Doll said...

Hey, Jen! Just wanted to say hi and I hope you're a step closer to getting that ticket.

DS Irvin said...

I think that over all, humans are so destructive that the earth is trying to get rid of us.

I think it was Kurt Vongate (sp?) who said that global warming was the earth's immune system trying to kill us, the disease.

PNA said...

i second or third or fourth that is MAN who is responsible for all this imbalance in nature.

but i never could differentiate bewtween the gator and the python ..

Forzavryheid said...

The meat is a bit too fatty for my liking...

Ill choose Kudu over Alligator/crocodile ANYDAY

Ek verlang na jou liefling. : )

Jen said...

exMI
Ok but how would you cook something like that? I know you know..You can cook anything. : )


Jenn
Hey! Yes mam..Im getting closer every day. Stu is even offering to help. Pretty sweet huh?
How was the break? Glad to see you back.


illimitable voices
The American Indians had similar beliefs that the earth is a living thing with its own spirit. If this is the case then I can see how it would it would view us as a cancer.


Ash
I hear they both taste like chicken.


Stu-man
I told him what you said he said BRING IT ON! He hates the computer at the Penitentiary, he says its to slow for him...
YOUR TURN... : )



Adrian
What kind of food did you say we were going to Braai again?

Ek varlang vir jou & lief vir jou AJT. (NT now??)



Hulabelly
BBQ sauce makes everything taste better. : )

Unknown said...

This is a huge problem all over the world...and many times the non-native species was introduced on purpose to try to control something else. Which has almost never worked. So instead of one pest, you get two. The other thing is the way we do so much international shipping. Fire ants aren't native to Arkansas. They are to South america, but sure enough we have HUGE fireant problems because some South American shipment had the little buggers on board and they like it here.

Jen said...

Stu-man
Awwwww common now..No presure...I did translate.. : )

Go to "YOURE blog for full comments on this subject.

Jen said...

Megan
You know I hadnt thought about the fire ants thing..But youre right.We have alot of those here in this state as well..They are a pain.



JgStephan
Bullfrogs huh? Well you know those are pretty tasty too..I have never tried crocodile, but I have eaten alligator..and I like it a lot.
This post makes me hungry everytime I have to comment on it. lol