Friday, October 14, 2005

Things That Go Bump In The Night


It was around midnight. I was home alone for the weekend. I was online chatting on MSN with Adrian..He was headed to bed since it was sunrise his time...And I was logging off to go watch a movie. That's when I heard it...The tap tap tap...

At first I ignored it..Because this is the first rule of scary movies...When you are home alone..Late at night and you hear a strange noise. YOU IGNORE IT. But it wasn't long before I heard it again..tap tap tap...Then in a few seconds....I heard it again...tap tap tap....So here's where I did the thing I swore I would never do..I have sat through many a horror movie..Yelling at the screen saying NOOO you dumb girl don't go in there...Don't go see what's making the noise..

Its funny, but when that really happens to you...YOU actually do go look...Go figure.. So I got up went in to the other room to see what was making this noise. I had thought maybe its a big bug of some kind...Or maybe a mouse has gotten into the duct work of the air conditioner....Hey, I live in a tropical climate..Any of these things were possible.

What I wasn't expecting...Was to walk into our dining room and see a Bat trying to scurry along the floor. YESSSS..That's right little brown furry winged vermin of the night...The taping sound was him trying to get traction on the hard flooring and not doing to great of a job at it...

Now I'm thinking ohhh mann..Please please do not let him fly...Then I'm thinking, how am I going to pick him up and get him out of here...Then I thought..EWWWWWW I'm not picking that thing up!!...It was about that time that every story I had ever heard of rabies ran through my mind...I have watched Old Yeller and Cujo..I know how those stories turned out...I'm young and I have to much to live for to risk this.

In the mean time he's still moving..Not fast but he's trying to get to somewhere...I knew I had to do something with him...So I did the only logical thing that I could do....I tupperwared him. I don't think that's what they had in mind for those clear plastic bowls, at least I never saw this use in one of their commercials...But I am here to tell you they make one fine Bat containment device. I'm thinking of writing to the tupperware people to relay this story to them..You never know...

Now before you go getting all "animal rights" on me..I didn't put the lid on him and burp out all the air...I wasn't trying to keep him fresh...Just keep him in one place until those who were older and had less to loose than myself could arrive and remove him.

The problem I'm having now..Is how did he get in? I have been told he probably came down the chimney. And more than likely he's got friends still hanging out up there...I have always suspected there was something up that chimney besides Santa..Now I know what...

EWWWWWWWWWWWW

4 comments:

Jen said...

Hulabelly
With my luck if I had tried to wack him with a broom one of two things would have happened. I would have either made him really mad and then he would have flown at me....or I would have killed him and then had to spend the evening cleaning him up.

I wouldnt have answered your dorm door either..Just the fact your in a dorm....Im not sure I would ever answer a door at 2am..you realize 95% of scary movies take place in a dorm...NOOOOO, you did the right thing..besides its scientifically proven that if pulled up correctly, blankets do indeed protect you.

JgStephan said...

This is an interesting but also funny story. You tupperwared him... HAHAHAHA
You must write to the tupperware people, that were a great commercial! ;)

Jen said...

Jef
I have read all the stuff about them..I know how they function and fly and what they eat...but when I saw it crawling on my floor..My thoughts went to the more girly ewwwwww...sorry


jgstephan
Im not sure the tupperware people want their name associated with bats..Doesnt exactly make you think homemade or fresh does it..lol



hulabelly
LOL This is not just entertainment its a learning tool : )

Jen said...

hulabelly
Romantic comedy is good...But never under estimate smart and cute..you have that working for you too..I cant wait to see how this turns out.
Ok Im trying hard to tone it down..but its two steps forward one back..have patience : )