Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Girl I Brought You Into This World

One of my moms favorite sayings is "Girl I brought you into this world and I can take you out the same way". My reply is always....."You can try, but my heads a lot bigger now". This comment is usually following some smart remark I've made to her in an attempt to instigate something. I inherited the smartass gene from dads side of the family. My moms side has a string of strong willed women. This is a nice way of saying opinionated...Another trait I also seem to have inherited.

My moms side of the family are firm believers that its not enough to punish, you should also be taught a lesson. My grandparents were almost diabolical in there attempts to teach my mom these lessons when she was younger. One incident involved my mom and her first pair of safety scissors. Apparently she had been given instructions not to cut anything that was not paper. Of course for my mom this was just dangling temptation in front of her. She says, that after she cut off all of her eyelashes, it automatically occurred to her that maybe you really need those for something important. So with safety scissors behind her back and her eyes squinted as though the sun were in them, she marches out to my grandmother and asks, "What would happen if a person cut off their eyelashes"? My grandmother, with out missing a beat replies "I think you would go blind". OK... No trauma caused there right?

Yep, that kind of parenting skill was definitely passed on to my mom in her efforts to raise me. Not that my mom needed many such lessons for me. I was a good kid. Seriously, you can ask her, I was pretty much no trouble. Part of the reason for this is because I always knew some where in the back of my mind that there was always the chance the woman meant business. Never under estimate what a little healthy intimidation can do for your behavior. I think I probably got about 5 spankings my whole life. Most of the time all it took to keep me in line was something I refer to as the "white eye". You know that look parents give you when they raise their eyebrows and what you see is mostly the whites of their eyes. Yeah, I got that look and I knew it was get in line or the wrath of god was forth coming.

I suppose you could be thinking...Well there you go, that explains a lot..No wonder she's a little reality challenged. Well you could have a point. But I've never had to call for bail money yet. I'm not on drugs or leading a life of crime. And all signs right now point to the possibility I may actually be employed and self supporting some day. So maybe mom didn't do to bad. Just don't tell her that ok..I don't want her getting to over confident..She's already hard to live with.

9 comments:

Forzavryheid said...

My Mom gave me more hidings than I can remember.

One day she told me she was gonna give me the hiding of a lifetime, so I ran to my room and padded up with about twenty pairs of undies- it looked like I was wearing a HUGE diaper... I was convinced she wouldnt notice!

Only problem is, somewhere along the way, she got a phonecall and forgot about me.

Either she neglected to let me know or I was too stupid to realise (I'll go with the latter) that I wasnt in trouble any more- and I ended up walking around with twent skants on for the rest of the day and had a wedgie that would make many a high school dork cringe.

I LOVE MY MOM. : )

Jen said...

Jef
Not only does she have one of those looks, she still uses it.


Adrian
LOL
Remind me to send Maggie Flowers...She deserves something lol : )

Blake said...

Our lips are sealed.

And if I did anything bad, all my mom would have to say is, "just wati 'til your dad gets home."

Then I would run to my room and shit bricks until I smelled dinner, because then I knew my whopping was close.

Blake

timmy G said...

I Never got hit when i was younger, inf act i barely ever got in n e BIG trouble, i tihnk the worst was when i got grounded and all my things got taken away from me... tv, computer priveldges coudnt talk on the phone, bascially it was for a couple days even though my mom said a week, and then everything wroked out fine

Jen said...

The Everglades
My mom never did the wait till your dad gets home..she was a woman who never stood on ceremony..she took care of business herself..lol


timmy G
Well like I said I didnt get many spankings...But I always knew that if I stepped to far over the line there was always the chance shed go terminator on me.

Duncan MacEachern said...

Jen,

Your last POST prompted me to read your entire blog. You last post was really good. As a BLOG, I think it may become a favorite of mine. I enjoyed your very first post about gentlemen being an endangered species. You are a talented writer with a bright future ahead of you. I wish you well and will continue to read (and maybe even comment) on your blog. Be well & peace!

JgStephan said...

Thank you for your comment in my Blog. ^^
Unfortunately, I have time for only some minutes.
I will have a look at your interesting Blog at leisure the day after tomorrow.

My parents didn't have to punish me often. I got the last punishment many years ago from my mother. The wooden spoon has broken at the blow on my bottom and I have laughed about it. "grin"
My parents have been very strict but I love them.

Jen said...

Duncan MacEachern
Thank you for the kind words and compliments. They were very appreciated. : )


JgStephan

You are most welcome for the comment on your blog. I enjoyed the post. Thank you for stopping by to read mine. As far as the spoon...lol...and your parents being strict. Thats not a bad thing..Look how good you turned out. : )

Jen said...

My dad says that when he gets the chance...

idle threats id say...

:-p