Sunday, August 21, 2005

In Memory...1987-2003

The town we live in is small. Everyone knows everyone else. When the 3:00 bell rings, the place is jumping. Parents picking up their children, students going to the days practice, or up to the local store to get that bag of chips and cold drink before they go off home or to what ever plans they had next.

That's the last place I saw her. We were both up at the store getting something to drink. We spoke to each other for 5 or 10 minutes before she and her boyfriend climbed in his truck and took off to where ever they were going and I walked next door to my appointment.

Two miles out side of town, the white cross on the side of the highway marks the place where it happened. They were doing 80 when they hit the back of the school bus. The force drove the pickup truck up under the bus. Later they found out it wasn't just the speed they were going, but brake failure that caused the accident. Fortunately other than the trauma of being in an accident like that and a few cuts and bruises all of the children on the bus that day were alright. My friend wasn't so lucky. She broke her neck and died instantly. Her boyfriend, who was driving survived. Although he wont ever be the same, hitting your face against a windshield at 80 will do that. But the scars on his face are nothing compared to what he feels knowing he was driving and she died.

The accident was almost two years ago. The day after she turned 16. Today I saw her dad and little sister in town. Her sister is getting older and looks so much like her its scary. Her dad seemed like he was doing good. Her mom, I hear isn't doing as well, she doesn't leave her bedroom very much.

What I remember is that she was soooooo tall..legs that went on forever. Beautiful blonde and getting prettier the older she got. (She looks like her mom.) She was kind, never had a bad word to say about anyone. She had a wicked sense of humor and was loved all who knew her.

This post is in loving memory of my friend. My prayers are still with her family.

12 comments:

Forzavryheid said...

Sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your friend Jen.

It is sad that things like this happen, but we can but only hope and pray that she went on to a better life from here.

Jen said...

Annie
Thanks Annie, she makes me realize how lucky I am. As long as Im breathing nothing is impossible.


Adrian
Thanks sweetheart. I appreciate it.
Vir jou my hart smelt verskriklik.
(I think, lol if i said it right)
I know... lief vir jou

timmy G said...

That is very sad, and sorry to say accidnets do happen, my school is known as one of the "cursed schools" of our tow, because once a year somebody dies, nobody knows why it happens, most of the accidents (well on the students parts) dont involve alcohol... this past year the guy who died was an aquantance to me, a friend to others, and well, i just dont understand why some people have to go through this, they are so young...he was driving home from work one night when he was in a head on collision, and this is the year that me and all my friends have our licenses and are driving, so i am hoping to see a change this year in this "curse" we are going to be the year to change it...and i am reminded of the song Collide when i hear about things like this... so all im trying to say is my thughts are with all those who die in none alcohol related crashes, and i dont understand why it needs to happen

Jen said...

Timmmyg
I was told a while ago that every year I was in highschool I would see someone I knew from school die. This was the first friend, the second came in November later that year. A third was someone I knew but not really hung out with.(AN older brother of a good friend)Youre right it doesnt make sense.I hope you and your friends stay safe.

Vishwa said...

That was a sensitive write up, jen. I feel for her family.

Jen said...

Stu-man
You are a sweetheart. In 5 weeks I hope youll be taking care of your best mate for me. I want pictures at caprices! : )



vishwa
Thank you the comments are appreciated.

Jen said...

madman...Thank you

DS Irvin said...

I am over-run, from time to time, with thoughts of those who have died long before their time has come.

Jen said...

illimitable voices
I remember noticing that its strange how life returns to normal so quickly for everyone except the family. Seeing them the other day reminded me of her and of how they are still broken.Watching everyone go back to business as usual must be hard for them when they cant.

DS Irvin said...

Come to think of it, you are absolutely right. As I look back, I can see that everything returns to normal quicly, except for the family.

Jen said...

dreadcow
Thank you for the kind words. I know your leaving soon. Be safe ok.

Unknown said...

i am sorry for your loss of a friend at such a young age..and yes, it must be hard to see the family is still trying to cope when the rest of the world has moved on..