Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Lost And Found....




I have written a few posts lately about people who had less than their share of moral character, intelligence or parenting skills. This story gave me a little hope that all is not lost.

Today a woman walking across a parking lot on her way to buy a bus pass, found a bag that contained $800 in cash, two paychecks, and a Dailey planner. The lady in question, not only found the owner the property belonged to, but returned it contents intact.

That all by itself is pretty amazing,...... An honest person. But to me the story is even more impressive when you find that the honest woman is also a homeless mother of five. All of whom are now currently living in a homeless shelter. She was buying the bus pass so it would be easier to get to her minimum wage job at one of the local fast food places. I am sure that this woman could have really used that money. Supporting five children on a minimum wage is impossible. Who are we kidding? Anyone who's worked a minimum wage job will tell you its not really enough to support the person working it. Let alone a child.

I guess this lady thought that honesty and values were more important than her personal needs. You know, she maybe having a hard time in her life right now. But today she spoke to her children loud and clear in the example she set for them by her actions.

She could just sit back and complain that life has dealt her a raw deal, leaving her homeless with five children to support. But instead she's found an honest job doing what she can for her family. Most of the world may view her as a poor homeless mother of five. I see her as priceless.

12 comments:

Forzavryheid said...

Wow.

That is amazing, I think we could ALL learn from her example.

Not that it should be expected or a reason for doing a good deed, but I hope she was given at least some form of financial reward for what she did.

Forzavryheid said...

GREAT SONG.

(It can be our soundtrack)

timmy G said...

she likely did this great and kind act because she knew what it was like without money and she did not want a nother family to suffer like she had so she was a thoughtful and kind person and brought back the money

Jen said...

Adrian
I love this song too..Thanks



timmy G
I think most people know the difference between right and wrong. But they choose the path of least resistance and look out for themselves. Its nice to know that someone who probably had more need than most,still had the desire and integrity to do the right thing instead of the easiest.

timmy G said...

when we went to europe one of the tachers found a large some of money on the ground and turned it into the police, because she had the decency and knew it was hnot hers...and even if no one claims it within a year it is hers technically but what are the odds of us getting to it in one year...

Sonja said...

And to think that our first instinct is to look down upon homeless people!

It's an interesting picture of our society/culture that this story makes people say "wow, that's great" (that was my first reaction). Shouldn't that kind of behavior be, well, normal?
Interesting social commentary...

Jen said...

dreadcow
Never say never....at least not 3 times fast...lol


European
Youre absolutely right that should be the norm..and not the exception to the rule. Its nice to see that there are still some out there who know that.

Vishwa said...

Jen, your seem to live in an interesting place or maybe you have an eye for interesting details. I believe every place has a soul and character, just like a living being.
What's your take on the iraq occupation? I'd love to read your post on this issue. What does the american common man think about these events?

BadGod said...

I would have given the cash up also, but not because I am a nice guy. Well, I am a nice guy but I live by the saying "what goes around, comes around".

I've noticed it usualy comes around back to me alot harder and faster than i sent it. You know?

Jen said...

BadGod
Yeah Im a believer in the world bringing you what you put out into it...


vishwa

Ok I wrote it, not sure if its what your asking me or not, but its how I feel. Oh and liked your blog.

Miranda said...

Wow. That sort of lady is rare.

Unknown said...

holy shit batman..that post really made me think..I know how hard it is to raise a child on very little money...i did it for 14 years..alone..i found 400 bucks once when i was a hotel maid and the guy didnt even thank me when I left it with a note that the next maid might not be so honest..it would of been so easy to take it but I didn't...and when i ask people what they would of done..i get more people saying they would of taken it than left it..sad aint it?