Monday, June 16, 2008

Observations Of Semi-Adulthood

Just like probably every other person in the world I sat and listened to the brain numbing lectures the family gave me about life in "the real world". I heard the "life isn't fair and that the real adult world was full of responsibilities and sacrifices. So enjoy it while you can...because this time wont last forever".

Yeah.... Yeah..... Yeah....I think I actually have that whole speech stitched on a pillow somewhere.

But now that I'm sort of here......standing in what could be considered semi adult hood....I admit it.....You were right Mom. The real world sucks sometimes. Being an adult is not all its cracked up to be. So I have to wonder is this really all there is? And if it is and this is what it means to be an adult......why does anyone want this job? It reeks!

Here are some of the changes Ive noticed...

You have to work ALL the time. Now I'm not opposed to work. But you have to do it ALL THE TIME!!

I miss beach days.

When you finally become legal drinking age.....the thrill of being able to do it is pretty much gone. Although by then you sometimes need the buzz. (that doesn't sound like a potential problem does it?)

No matter how much money you save......Bills will come to take it all. Its never enough. No matter how much you plan there is always going to be that unexpected fuel pump that goes out in your car...or the pot hole that takes out your tires.

It doesn't seem to matter what your work schedule says...Because inevitably you will still be called each and every time you have a day off. So don't make plans.


The less money you make at a job, the harder you will have to work and the nastier the jobs will be that you are asked to do.

You don't have to be an ASS to be in a position of power or authority. But if you have any of that in you, it will most definitely rise to the surface.

The social drama you thought you would leave behind when you left high school, continues to exist in the work place. Because age rarely changes those types of individuals.

Being forgiving or easy going is seen as a weakness. And its better not to let others know of it.

Don't get me wrong....I don't want to go back. Its not all bad. I do like some of the freedoms, even if they do come with more than their share of responsibilities. And I honestly am looking forward to finishing school and finding a good job. I suppose I want the same things everyone else seems to want.... to travel, a decent car, a house of my own, maybe a little financial Independence, someone special to share all the good things with. (but considering the dating options Ive observed....I maybe taking applications for a qualified gold digger) *smile*

But I admit I'm a little bit apprehensive about what comes next. Because I'm told this will only get worse. There are other things that come alone as time and adulthood progress.....Such as Kids....Morgages....Summer camp....PTA meetings.....Braces....Mowing the lawn.....Life Insurance...Retirement plans....Bran cereal.


I REALLY MISS BEACH DAYS

8 comments:

Forzavryheid said...

THATS WHY GOD CREATED ANNUAL LEAVE!!

Now you get to spend a week or two on a beach instead of a day! : D

Forzavryheid said...

... and of course you get to pretend to be a millionaire for a few days by throwing dollars at people a lot poorer than yourself, because their currency is worth peants!!

YAY FOR VACATIONS!!

Jen said...

forzavryheid
Let us now observe a moment of silence for white sandy beaches...warm tropical breezes, fruity drinks with little umbrellas, and poorer third world countries who still value the American dollar.

AMEN

Forzavryheid said...

Moment of silence observed.

NOW LETS DRINK!!

Anonymous said...

Well, that's partially correct. It is a different world where you work a lot. Trick is to work at something you love. Then it's not so bad.

Yes, people don't grow up, it's like high school all over again. Pick up People magazine and look for the jock and the prom queen. See Bowling For Soup "High School Never Ends".

You do get to go to the beach. You just have to do it on your vacation time. And you learn how to find super saver fares and stuff like that.

And all that kids stuff. There are hidden nuggets of gold in those days as well. Like when your kid out of the blue says, "I love you daddy/mommy." Worth it all.

Knot

Jenn Doll said...

Grow up, but don't grow up! I'm pretty much a poster child for that. I'm never growing up! Yet, I've gotta be grown-up. Make sense??

Unknown said...

I like to roll with the saying, you have to grow old but you don't have to grow up. With the exception of a few things in life, I don't see where I have to be all old and stuffy. I have taken a personal oath to never grow up, and I am proudly representing the 10 year old segment of society with pride....Now if only i could get rich, then i might could get Jen to go out with me..... LOL

Jen said...

If you intend to apply for the potenial Gold Diggers position you need no money of your own. Only a pretty face and a wilingness to make me happy.

I already know your pretty....now how badly do you want me to be happy? LOL
: P