Saturday, January 19, 2008

Worriers Rejoice

I heard on the news that scientists have discovered a "worry gene". Yes that's right they did an actual study and think they have determined that there could be a gene that may make you a worrier.

They also noted that there isn't any cure for this genetic issue...But that there are things you can do to help promote a more worry free life. (laughing)

I know there are some out there who find the discovery of this gene fascinating. But speaking as a person who is not only an accomplished over thinker, but has also on occasion excelled at worry...I didn't need a scientist to find this gene or to tell me of its existence. I also feel that the knowledge of its existence only gives the real worrier one more thing to worry about. My feelings on this were confirmed even further when I heard the suggestions they gave to help if you should happen to have this gene.

Here's what they suggest...If you find yourself prone to worry...You should do things to take your mind off of it....Yes that's right. That was their advise. Keep busy. Focus on other things to keep you from worry.


Well now geee why didn't I think of that? When you put it scientifically like that it seems so simple. I cant see why I didn't notice it before. Now armed with this helpful information that's one less thing I now have to worry about. So thank you.

I admit I'm curious though....I wonder who it was sitting around the lab one day that said "Hmmmm ...Lets see if we can get ungodly amounts of money and use it for research. We will find the existence of genetic traits that will provide no significant benefit to mankind...ok ya want to" ?

Id also like to know where you have to sign up for this job? Do you have to have some sort of special degree? Do you have to know someone...be someones cousins brother twice removed? I ask this not purely out of simple curiosity. I am after all in college now and its never to late to change my major.

8 comments:

The Zombieslayer said...

I wonder how much of our taxpayer money went to finding this out.

Jen said...

zombieslayer
Good question. Another thing I forgot to mention is the fact that this study was done primarily on mothers and daughters.

They felt that women and specifically mothers and daughters were more prone to worry.

(Duh)I didnt need a study to guess that one.

Almost sounds like shooting fish in a barrel doesnt it? lol

Anonymous said...

No need to worry there's a worry gene!

So what are we possibly going to do now with that fascinating bit of information?

Cull everybody who has too many worry genes? Mate one worry wart with another worry wart and see if we get jellyfish??

Yeah, I too have to wonder why such money is spent on such trivial things.

To combat worry all we have to do is find something else to focus on... isn't this just common sense?? I could've told them that and saved them time and several cagillion dollars!

So all worriers need do is worry about finding something to occupy their worried little minds, right?

LOL

Jen said...

ryan
I hadnt given a thought about letting the worriers reproduce.

The drug companies may be all for that..Just think of the money they could make on setitives and anti depressants.

cha ching....I hear the cash registers ringing right now..

Anonymous said...

I'm convinced that DNA contains a whole lot more than we think it does. Like personality or sense of humor. I can't prove it but this gets my theory farther along. I also think DNA in a sense is not like a thumb print. I think it's pretty unique but can be changed with minor tweaks. I don't think your DNA can be confused with someone else.

I'm really glad you are writing again.

~Jef

Jen said...

edge
I absolutely agree. DNA is the building blocks of life itself. I think its sort of like a living computer code for each individual. Each strand hold some small instruction that interacts with the whole to make us who and what we are.

And your right no two DNAs are a like. Which is why DNA testing has become so significant when it comes to legal issues.

But just as every computer has its share of files that while are needed to make the program whole...they are really not significant in the day to day workings of the operating system.

Such is the way I see the worry gene. This isnt life threatening..its definitly not life changing and its not fixable.

So why do we need to spend a great deal of money seeking it out and identifying it.

Dont we have much bigger genetic issues we could be focused on..for example birth defects and genetically transfered disease. Or how about finding and treating the gene that creates a person like Charles Manson or Jeffery Dalmers of the world? Find a gene and a cure for that and Ill be impressed.

Anonymous said...

"What, me worry?" Alfred E.Neuman.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I know of grants given out for less worthy causes. Not having read the report, I hesitate to judge completly but you made the obvious point that the study pointed out what we all already know (and aren't too successful at implementation.)