Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Ready To Matriculate

You can lead a blond to knowledge but you cant make her think.

Yes..I know that was really bad. But still appropriate in this case. Its taken me some time to get to this point. I have no problem with going to college. In fact I think if you want to go and you have the chance to go....you should take advantage of it. But that doesn't mean its for everyone.

I just don't think you should go just so you are able to say you went. Or because others "strongly suggest" that you go. I think those are all the wrong reasons. You go because you have a desire to learn something. Because you think the experience will improve your life in someway.

I have watched a lot of my peers get on the college bound train...only to drop out later realising it wasn't for them. Or float aimlessly through it, not really getting anything from it....except for the knowledge of how to play beer pong or other assorted drinking games.

Not that I'm putting down the socialization part of the college experience, I'm not. I have a great many friends doing the whole matriculation thing now and loving it. I have spent enough time with them at their college apartments or on campus to know that I would probably fit in with the social aspect of it and enjoy it.

But there is more to it than that..or at least their should be. I guess its just taken me this long to decide that the time was right for me. So my friends I have officially submitted my application...and am working on the next steps toward my goal. And for the first time in a long while I am actually excited. I really feel like this is the right thing for me.


I feel hopeful, confident and ready to do this.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if the application process is different to colleges and universities down here but what course/degree/stream did you apply for Jen?

If I had a wild guess I'd say that you'd either be in the social sciences, or arts streams (then again what isn't in the art stream??).

Unless blogging has its own stream! And that'd be fun!!

Jen said...

Hey Ryan!
My major will be in Radiology. I want to be an X-ray technician to start. Eventually Id like to bridge over and specialize..maybe do ultrasounds or sonograms.

I think it would be fun if I could make blogging a career. But I think I might be too preachy to do that for a living..lol

Not everyone can be a stunt man such as yourself : )

Anonymous said...

Eeeek! Radiology!! X-rays!!

*faints*

I hope you don't grow extra body parts with all the exposure to radiation!!!

(Although if you grew a tail that'd be kinda kinky.)

;-B

Jen said...

ryan
I honestly feel as if I have enough body parts. So Ill try not to go there....But I do sort of like that whole glow in the dark idea...

Extra tail??? Really?? Let me change my guess..Zoologist??? Or maybe circus preformer?

Anonymous said...

College is pushed on young people too much i think. Yes the degree gets you father, but who says you have to get it in 4 years? I went to a few colleges, got kicked out of one, and after 19 years I finally got my Bachelor's Degree. It takes longer for people to figure out what they want to do, so to that I say... Take your time.

Jen said...

slinger
LOL the nerf herder thing still has me laughing. Sorry, Im easily amused.

Yes I agree..I think sometimes you need to step back and decide what it is you really want.

I know that after I graduated the last thing I wanted to think about was sitting in a classroom again...Especially when I had no idea exactly what reason I wanted to be sitting there for.

But now I actually feel ready and excited to get started.

Anonymous said...

You should go to school for agriculture, then ask someone in class if there is a course in nerf herding. :0)

Anyway...glad that you are taking that step. Radiology amazes me.

TheSloan said...

Congrats! I hope a lifetime of learning is what you're looking for, because it shouldn't stop after college anyway. Good luck and keep in touch!

exMI said...

Don't forget to take as many classes as you can in something other than what you are officially studying. That is where you will learn the interesting, fun stuff. and i may lead you to a field much more interesting that where you started.

Unknown said...

Congrats and good luck!

Man when you decide you really decide, don't you? I think its great. Have fun with it.

And you are absolutely right- its not for everybody, or at least its not for everybody right after high school.

Jen said...

the sloan
Thank you..Im actually really looking forward to all aspects of it.


exmi
Well right now..my main focus is doing well on my CPT. Then I have a critical thinking test I need to score well on...

Then since they only accept 30 students a year into the radiology program, I need to make sure that I score highly in all my prerequisite classes. The sum total of all these things will determine if Im one of the lucky 30.

But I feel pretty confident if I put my mind to it I can do it.
I used to be an honors student before I became a slacker..
I think if I really want this I can get it.


megan
Yeah I know..But the truth is I have been thinking of doing this for over a year now. I guess it just felt so overwhelming and out of reach for a while I just was afraid to try.

But I have adjusted my attitude and am taking things one step at a time. It feels easier when I see each thing completed little by little. I actually see myself doing this. Im excited.

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I had a good time, actually learning things. I partied before and after college, but during college, I actually studied.

I'm always hearing the big lie that people who go to college make more money. Not always so. Some of the wealthiest and/or most successful people I know either dropped out or never went, including the guy who's coaching me on building corporations. I don't even think he graduated high school, but I don't want to ask him that.

But yes, you should go when you want to go, not when peer pressure makes you go.

exMI said...

ZS- On average people who go to college make more money. Individual cases of course will vary. I went to college and I'm not making squat right now. :)