Saturday, April 28, 2007

Theres Always Plan B

Have you ever wondered how much you as in individual matter in this world? I have. Especially lately.

I was watching a commercial on TV...Don't ask me what they were selling...I couldn't tell you. It was some sort of insurance I think. I suppose in that regard the commercial failed miserably as a commercial since I cant recall the company it was for. But it did catch my eye for another reason. It was one of those pay it forward type ideas.

It showed an individual who stops for no other reason than just because they can..and helped another person. It was a simple thing...not a cure for cancer or the answers to hunger or world peace. Just a simple act of kindness from one person to another. That act was then observed unknowingly by a third individual who stopped, paused and thought about what he had just seen. The commercial goes on with this ripple effect...The third individual does a small act of kindness that gets passed on because its affects another person and so on.

So this gets me thinking. I wonder how my life effects those around me. Do I have any impact on those people I come in contact with on a daily basis? What about those who I only touch for the briefest of moments?

Id like to think that maybe I could be the kind of person one day that could be something positive in another persons life. I doubt I will ever be anyone who does anything so profound as finding a cure for a disease or the answers to any real world problems. But Id like to think that one day I can become a good enough person that my actions...even the small ones would be a good influence on others around me.

There seem to be all kinds of successes in this world. There are the creators of the world...and the things we have in it. The ones who have great influence over economy, people, politics. There are those who do great humanitarian acts, find cures for disease and work on a global level to cure the world of its ills. Then there are those who appear successful just by the simple act of being in the public eye repeatedly. I don't know if fame is a true success.. I suppose that depends on the stick you measure it by.

I don't see myself as ever falling into any of the above categories. I'm not sure I would want to. But I think that there are more basic ways of being a success. And even though those might not be noticed or measured..they are every bit as important in the big scheme of things. I may not be that kind of person yet. But I could be. I mean I still have a lot of choices a head of me don't I?

My Great Grandmother used to say take life with a grain of salt....My great Uncle would say add a slice of lime and a shot of tequila to that. *smile*

But someone recently gave me some pretty simple but none the less good advise....He told me to stop beating up on myself, don't over analyse and do what I needed to do for me. He could be right. Who knows, maybe everything else might start to fall into place.

If not..there is always plan B...... that slice of lime and that shot of tequila...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how my life effects those around me. Do I have any impact on those people I come in contact with on a daily basis? What about those who I only touch for the briefest of moments?

Yes. Helping out a stranger, or even holding a door open for someone and smiling at them can change one's mood drastically.

Jen said...

The Zombieslayer
I think so too. I keep thinking of those things that came at just the moment I needed it.

It wasnt much to the person doing it...it was just a smile or saying something to make me laugh at myself. But at that moment..it was a big deal to me.

Jen said...

ryan
First let me say Im shocked you know who Ziglar is.

Secondly..what color would you want that Telsa Roadster?

: )

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

Well I don't know him personally... if that's any consolation.

And in keeping with the theme on my blog I'd like my Roadster... yellow.

;o)

Jen said...

ryan
Im glad to hear you didnt know him personally. I believe if you had..you would also be participating in the big dirt nap right now.

Which would make the fact you are commenting on my blog slightly spooky.

Yellow...why am I not surprised?..I guess if its working for you..why change it now. LOL

Ill wrap that up for you right away...paper or plastic?

RobC said...

I always have a plan B and C and D and a shot of Rum! :-)
As Zombieslayer said, sometimes it is the smallest thing that may make the biggest diffrence to somone that crosses your path... just don't run over them in the process! :-)

Lia said...

I know it's been a while, so it might not be new anymore, but I like your new profile pic.

Jen said...

robc
Well actually Tequlia has never been a friend of mine. And recently I was introduced to Pineapple rum.

I think I could see that becoming a definite plan B.

You and Zombieslayer are right...I met someone purely randomly about two years ago.

When I met them I had no idea the kind of impact or importance they would eventually take in my life. In many ways they changed me, for the better I think.

I hope they know that.


lia
Thank you. Its a display picture I have used before..I just cropped it down. But thank you for saying that.

Glad to see you back again.