Sunday, April 22, 2007

Innocent Until Proven Guilty...

Innocent until proven guilty has left the building. Or at least its on its way out because of a lot of different circumstances in our country. I realize that with the tragic events that have occurred at places such as Virginia Tech and Columbine people want the powers that be to do something...anything to make them feel safer and protected while in public places.

But can this really be done? I have to ask myself are the freedoms we give up really a good trade for the false feeling of security we will get for them? How many metal detectors do we walk through? How many forms and background checks do we go through before we are deemed safe and law abiding?

Do all these new laws and restrictions really keep us safer? Because in my way of thinking the only people who really follow these rules are the ones who are law abiding to begin with. Criminals and crazies usually step outside the box when it comes to things like this.

We have adopted a VERY unhealthy attitude toward the politically correct. We are so worried that we are going to offend some group that we are giving up many of our own rights to prevent this from happening. As we bend over backwards, we are saying by our actions that we are unable to determine who is criminal and crazy...And if we do suspect, our own fear of political incorrectness makes us unwilling to step up and point them out. Therefore for safety's sake we will have to restrict everyone.

Some will say that all these new restrictions are an acceptable trade off to know that they are safer when flying or going to school or entering a building.. etc. But I think its a slippery slope we need to think over carefully before signing off on it.

Maybe its old school thinking on my part. It just seems it could be a dangerous trade off, because to me freedoms aren't usually lost in big pieces at a time..They are eroded away little by little. So slowly and so subtly that we don't even notice, so we tell ourselves that its just normal.

If we are innocent until proven guilty shouldn't we be allowed to live as if we are?


Please check out exmi's blog post
Unusual Allies to see what set me off today.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the "Reality Based Community". I'm afraid there are many things on the net that are depressing/cruel/dysfunctional. Despite that, you will find many who welcome discussion, even if only to reassure themselves they aren't the only ones who think the world has gone stark, raving mad.
I do something different, which is to engage people on comments threads, but do most of my contributions to the online community by trying to sort out what's really happening from background noise. That's a task fit for Don Quixote : I list others who try to make sense of things on my Blogroll.
You made my list of worthwhile posts : unlike most, my Blogroll is a contribution I encourage others to explore - even if it means that's because I'm just too lazy to duplicate what can be found elsewhere.

Jen said...

opit
Thank you for the comments and adding me to your blogroll.

I can understand why people feel the need to want to go this route. Fear is a strong motivation. And I will even say that when I see things like the tragedy that occured at Virginia Tech, its hard not to have a reaction to it.

But I dont believe that giving up freedoms and rights is the answer for any of these type problems.

Anonymous said...

We live in a sick world. I'm discovering that a lot of people are totally insane.

Jen said...

John-Jack Bouchet Goodman
Youre right..It does feel that way. But thats even more reason we need to remember what brought us here to begin with.

Insanity isnt a modern occurance. Its been in the world for a very long time. We need to find other ways of dealing with it than bending to appease it.

exMI said...

Jen's great point and one that I whole heartedly agree with is that someone else being insane is not sufficient reason to make it illegal for me to do something.

Nice post Jen.

Unknown said...

Amen.

I especially agree that freedoms are gradually eroded rather than taken in chunks. The problem with that being we don't even notice until its too late.

I also think its ridiculous to punish all the law abiding citizens because of the few who aren't. And that's exactly what it feels like is happening.

Jen said...

exmi
Exactly!
Thank you.


megan
It is happening. And we are letting it.

Anonymous said...

It may have no relevance to truth whatsoever, but as long as the politically correct feel safer...

This post has been a recurring theme in my blog. Nicely said.