Saturday, November 04, 2006

Believe In Something Or Fall For Anything


After my last two posts on crime and criminals....It still has me thinking and a little mad. I think changing our laws and the way we prosecute law breakers is only a small part of the problem. Its like bailing water out of a ship that is destined to sink.

I'm thinking we need to look deeper and look at the things that have brought us here. We have taken political correctness to an unhealthy level. We are so afraid to offend some individual or group...that we are bending over backwards in the opposite direction to keep it from happening. In the process we are giving up some of our core beliefs and values by doing so. What's that quote?..."Evil exists when good men stand by and do nothing".

This country was founded on the principles of free speech and freedom from religious persecution. So that means that we cant just defend those that think like us. It means we have to defend those who's values and beliefs are repugnant to us as well. We have to defend the Devil himself...or at least his right to speak. But allowing someone to voice their opinions doesn't mean that we give them power over us or the right to speak for us and make decisions for us.

So I will ask you...How far are we going to be pushed before we say this is enough? It's time to put away our apathy. I'm not sure if I am considered a conservative or republican or whatever label you want to put on the things I think and believe. I will say this, I am tired of those who think "anything goes" running things. I am tired of them telling me I cant wish someone a Merry Christmas because it might offend those who don't believe in it. Or that I can't pray any place I damn well choose. Or that two consenting adults can't get married if they want to. I am tired of them not taking the time to raise their own children and teach them self respect and basic values. I am tired of being made to feel I am bad for having a faith or being an American.

I AM AN AMERICAN! That is not a dirty word...We are not all the devil as some would like to believe. I AM A CHRISTIAN! Again not a dirty word or a bad thing to be. I am glad I live in a country that you don't have to believe the way I believe to live here. In fact...there are many who don't, who would strongly disagree with my philosophies or beliefs.

You know what....MORE POWER TO YOU! Just don't ask me to bend over anymore and give up my beliefs to keep from hurting your tender little feelings. I'm tired of it. If you don't like the way I believe..or you don't like the fact that I'm an American....then all I can say to you is suck it up and deal with it. The same way I have to when I don't like something you say or do.

I may have to accept the right of those who make music that offends me....or movies and video games. I may have to accept that there are groups, political and religious who have the right to protest against me and or people like me. Trust me, I do accept it. And to be honest I'm even ok with it. Have a different point of view....GREAT! But screw off if you think you can stop me from having mine! If I have to accept it..so do YOU.

When are we going to embrace old fashioned values like Honesty....Fidelity...Loyalty...Hard work. These aren't dirty words either.

When are we going to say that we need to have faith again? To be proud we believe in something. Saying a prayer isn't a bad thing, no matter who you are praying to. It isn't going to bring down the fall of our government or society. If that happens it wont be from our faith...but our lack of it.

When are we going to say we need to parent our own kids and stop letting daycare, video games and rap singers do it for us? Do you think that kids just turn bad? That they take random sexual partners, do drugs or join gangs because they like the cool clothes and the firearms?? They are looking for something. They want to feel like they belong. They want to feel that sense of family...If YOU don't give it to them someone else will. If you don't want to parent...Its simple....DON'T HAVE KIDS.

If two consenting adults want to marry and have a long term committed monogamous relationship....I don't care what gender they are. Let them do it. Is it more important to condemn them because they don't love the same way you do? Or embrace the fact that they want to live law abiding, honest hardworking lives? Would it be so terrible that they may actually provide a postitive contribution to their community and society even though they aren't like YOU?

Just because someone looks like you doesn't make them right or better. When are we going to realize this and stop judging everyone on whether they look like us, live like us or think like us. Its not about what they say, but rather about what they do. To me, actions speak much louder than words ever could.

It comes down to deciding on what kind of country we want. What kind of people we want to be. What kind of society we want to live in and then making a stand. I am tired of feeling pushed. I am tired of feeling as though I cant do anything about this.

They say if you don't stand for something...YOU will fall for anything. Well I'm making my stand. Here's my line in the sand:

I'm 20, I'm an American and I'm a Christian. I am hard working, honest, monogamous, loyal and female and I'm done taking crap!


PS: MERRY CHRISTMAS

15 comments:

Forzavryheid said...

AMEN!!!

I love it when youre angry!! : )

Great post by an even greater person.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU TOO!

Jen said...

Adrian
LOL...You are truly one of a kind. I love it that you get it!!

Lief vir jou

*hug and smile*

JgStephan said...

Great post sweetie, I understand you!
In our schools you could always see a crucifix on the wall, because we are a Christians country. Since this year it's forbidden, because we could offend the muslim students...I can't understand this.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU! :D

Jen said...

Stephan
I have nothing against anyone who has a faith different than my own. I feel that its unfortunate because of the actions of others..People are now afraid of those who are different than they are.

I suppose in some cases..caution has been a reasonable response. But caution and fear are two different things.

A few people do not speak for everyone. In this country we have the freedom to worship as we choose. I dont have to agree or believe the way you do or visa versa.

But to forbid one group from prayer or celibrating holidays because of the possiblity it might offend another..seems as if its reverse discrimination.

If this is to be true freedom of religion then we ALL need to be tollerant of each others differences.

exMI said...

IT isn't the peopel you say "anything goes" that cause the problems. It is the ones who want to vet, certify, and check everything that is said.

I have no problems with Crosses in School or prayer so long as it is equally applied. IF you have morning prayer for the christians you have to stopo class so the moslems can pray a the right times too. Or the wiccans, or the satan worshippers. Frankly, I prefer the method of do it in your head when you want but there is too little time during the school day to go over the info needed without stopping for other stuff.

Oh, yea, it is too early for Merry Christmas. Idon't believe in christmas untill after Thanksgiving.
So happy Turkey day!

Anonymous said...

Jef, it is coming. Watch and wait. Many Americans are asleep and living in their own little bubble.

The enemy has stated EXACTLY what they want to do to us, the info is out there for anyone to read (and weep).

And still, many choose not to look.

Soooo, just waiting to wake up one day and see an American city or Israel wiped off the face of the map.

Only a matter of time.

When the river of blood flows no one should say they did not see it coming.

America is due for a wake up call. Big time.

All the other issues will count for naught if we are dead as they want us to be.

Go to thereligionofpeace.com

eyes wide open.

exMI said...

the problem with sayng America is a "Christian Country" is who defines what is Christian? I persoanlly belive in christ but many protestant organization have revivals where they tell peopel that my church isn't Christian. A friend who is a Catholic was marrying a Methodist in her church. Her pastor asked him if he was going to convert to Christianity before the wedding.
If a country is going to have "Freedom of Religion" than it has to have Freedom of Religion, it can't say "Well, Freedom of Religion as long as it is this religion." That isn't Freedom.

Jen said...

exmi
I disagree. First of all..the definition of Chirstianity isnt in question. Its the right to be openly Christian. I doubt any Christain group would be opposed to a moment of silence or a cross being displayed. If Im not mistaken all those things are symbols that each faith you meantioned adhear to.

Secondly..I agree with Adrian. This country has a vast majority of Chirstians. It stands to reason that you are going to see more displays of the christain faith than you might others.

I am not in anyway saying that other faiths shouldnt have the right to display or worship as they choose to.

I just dont however think special allowances need to be made for each individual one.

Its a question of over doing the whole polically correct thing. If you live in a community where the majoirity of citizens is one faith...you cant expect them to change their entire way of doing things to accomodate one individual.

It would be like me moving into a Jewish or Muslim commnuity and then telling them that they have to change their entire lifestyle or way of worship because it wasnt the same as mine. Its ridiculous.



Adrian
I couldnt agree with you more. I have no problem with others having a faith different from my own.

But I do have a problem when trying to accommodate others beliefs we have to ignore our own. It seems as if thats a compromise where one side is making all the consessions. Its reverse discrimination.

I feel the same about hiring someone for a job because they are a certain race, faith or gender rather than if they are the best person for the job. Its a bad idea.

Forzavryheid said...

EXMI: To answer your question, Im fairly confident that most people would accept that a christian is:

"a person who believes in Jesus Christ; adherent of Christianity"

- www.dictionary.com

The whole Protestant/Catholic debate is one that is not really relevant in this instance as the whole prayer and Cross on the wall which is the issue here, seemingly apply to both. I however, personally see no difference between the two.

The fact that America lets people of all faiths practice their religions without fear of death or persecution is more than adequate freedom of religion as far as Im concerned.

I just dont see the point in compromising the beliefs of the majority in order to cater for the minority.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I do sort of see exmi's point. For one thing, while all Christians believe in Christ they don't all have the same belief system. My Southern Baptist church as a child taught that Catholics were not Christians. When I wore a crucifix that one teacher deemed to be a Catholic crucifix (???Huh???) I was made to take it off and couldn't wear it to school.

One of our founding principles was "separation of church and state." Since public schools are run by the state it makes sense to me to leave religion completely out of them. Or at least have them be completely neutral on the topic.

Also, America was founded by Christians but the idea was that the country would be a place for religious freedom. Admittedly, being told you can't pray or do whatever your belief system does is not religious freedom. However, FORCING people to pray or believe in God either isn't religious freedom either.

I do think we need to get over this political correctness thing though. Its gotten where you can't speak plain English without pissing someone off.

Forzavryheid said...

Again, while I appreciate and understand the whole Protestant/Catholic debate thing (my parents come from Northern Ireland for crying out loud), thats not whats in question here.

The issue is how much will America concede before it FINALLY says: "enough is enough?"

If the election results are anything to go by, Im not sure it ever will.

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to get sidetracked by the religious issue.

I agree the political correctness thing has gone too far. As to changing it? Who knows? I'll probably be dead by then

Anonymous said...

As a member of a religious minority in the US, I give thanks daily that there is not a state religion and that American is not a Christian country, even though a majority of its citizens are Christians.

On the other hand, I believe that (a) people have to deal with reality and (b) as Jen said, there's too much bending over backward to avoid offending people. For those reasons, it doesn't bother me that people still say "Office Christmas party" when we all know that the PC term is "holiday party", or even better "winter party". Even when they say it to me.

Forzavryheid said...

MEGAN: Lol! Then we're in agreement then- all it takes is to be honest with each other, and it WILL change eventually.

(P.S: Sorry if I came off sounding aggressive earlier, it wasnt my intention- but I admit that I do get passionate about certain subjects the majority of the time)

LIA: If more people thought like you, the world would be a better place.

Jen said...

adrian
"The fact that America lets people of all faiths practice their religions without fear of death or persecution is more than adequate freedom of religion as far as Im concerned.

I just dont see the point in compromising the beliefs of the majority in order to cater for the minority".


I agree with this completely!



Megan
Im just tired of worring that each thing said and done will offend someone..I think we allow everyone in this country to have whatever faith they choose. Its protected by our constitution and by our laws.

We need to stop making every single thing an issue. Pick and choose the battles we want to fight..make it worth while if we want to make a stand.



lia
Exactly. Its not a question that someone wishing you Merry Christmas is a way to offend you. Or keep you from having your own faith or beliefs. Its meant to be a wish for a happy holiday. Its not said in malice.

Why cant we take it in the spirit in which it was intended instead of making it into an issue prejudice or oppression to another faith.