Sunday, July 09, 2006

To Forgive And Forget: And the fear that follows...

You know how I hate getting up on the soap box and being preachy....

OK OK..Stop laughing....

Anyone who knows me or reads this blog for all of 5 seconds knows that Im up and down off of my soap box so often its become an aerobic work out. And as far as being preachy goes..Listen closely and you can probably hear the choir singing.

So I suppose its safe to say that I do have an opinion. About pretty much everything. And If I don't when first asked..You can rest assured.. That given enough time to think about it and puzzle the subject out, I will probably form one.

I know that I have made my share of mistakes. Im still making them. I would like to think I can learn from those mistakes and not repeat them. But if Im honest about it, there are certain choices I have made that seem to just keep coming back to me.

The people in my life that I have chosen to fall for are a good example. I think probably everyone has gone through a break up at least once in their lives. I suppose how you view that break up depends on whether you were the one dumped or the one doing the dumping. There are also the reasons behind the breakup, what caused it to happen.

I think there are a lot of minor offenses that can end a relationship. But probably the biggest worst one in my eyes is infidelity. I think that one not only hurts the person because they have been cheated on ..But it destroys something deep inside you. It causes you to doubt yourself. To think that maybe there is something wrong with you or inside you that made this person do this to you. Even if you know rationally you did nothing to cause it. It still leaves lasting scars in your heart and your head full of doubts.

I think holding on to bitterness and anger is unhealthy. But its hard sometimes after something like that not to start to think Ill never let someone make me feel or look foolish again. You become a little jaded and start to wonder if all men or women are evil at the core. If there is anyone that can be trusted again. At some point we have to decide to let it go. But how?

Its not that a person cant forgive the act. I think they can. But its more difficult to forget. Someplace always in the back of your mind you know that this person who you trusted with the deepest part of yourself betrayed that trust. And even if you could forget it..Should you? Isn't that how we learn..The mistakes we make. Is trusting someone who didn't deserve that trust a mistake? Or do we rationalize why they did it when we forgive them?

I have never been the one doing the breaking up..I have always been the one getting dumped. Which is sad to have to admit..Because I have personally been cheated on numerous times. It would be nice to say I was too smart to let something like that happen to me. But Im human and I guess sometimes its hard to walk away from someone you really care deeply for even if you know on some level they are wrong for you.

One of the things I always preach to my friends about is that everything in life is a choice. The only things we can control for sure is ourselves. If we decide to stay with someone knowing they are wrong for us. Then that's our choice. If they are the type to cheat. Then they are. There is nothing you can do to make them remain faithful or into the person you want them to be. And something that I have learned the hard way is that you cant or shouldn't fool yourself into thinking that you will be the one to make them want to change. That with you it will be different. Because the odds are you wont.

If you decide to stay with them regardless of the facts. Then accept them the way they are. Accept that they will never be true to you. Accept that part of having this person in your life is the clear certainty that you will always be uncertain about everything they say and do. It doesn't mean because you choose them that you deserve to be treated badly. But if you make that choice and they do treat you badly. Don't complain about it. It was your choice. If you don't like it, and don't want to be treated that way then make another choice and don't be. Cut your loses and move on.

It wont be easy to walk. It never is. I think it becomes a question of love for yourself. Of knowing the kind of person and life you want for yourself and feel you deserve to have. If youre a caretaker type personality and not used to putting yourself first. Think of it this way. This person who is doing this to you isn't putting you first in their life...Don't you at least deserve that from the one person who should love you..YOURSELF.

After thinking about this a long long time. I suppose speaking for myself, its never been a question of forgiving. Because in my situation..Forgiveness wasn't called for. Its not a question of forgetting. Because I never can. Its just the type of person I am. But I think the worst part is the small fear. Not that this could happen to me again. I have already accepted that as a possibility. After the first 4 or 5 times it happens..That just becomes a given.

The part that scares me the most. The part that keeps me treading water instead of swimming forward, are the doubts I have about my own choices. What is wrong with my own internal radar that keeps steering me in the wrong direction? Because its not that I don't logically understand and know. Yet still.....

I have come to realize its not a lack of faith in others that stops me in my tracks, its a lack of faith in myself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

most ppl only come to that mind illuminating thought 3 minutes b4 they die.

The ONLY way to really love another is to love yerself first and foremost.

If you can do that most of the other problems more or less disappear. Live true to YOURSELF, love YOURSELF. People will always treat you the way you allow them to treat you.

You have to remain vulnerable and open or you harden yer heart.

If you saw yerself with true wisdom, with great appreciation for the other persons life, you would not allow them the power of yer happiness. That is yours to foster and keep. It IS yer responsibility. And yours alone. Doesn't depend on them.

Demand to be treated with respect. Do not abide cheaters it is a losing game. What is that they say "once a cheater, always a cheater" I believe there is wisdom in that saying. Character issues to the tenth power there.

It is a balance of powers and loves. Do not take on the negative karma of others and lose yerself in the process.

Your thought process is on the right track. You may not have the answers but you ask the right questions---that is the fun and also the silver lining of life, at times it is soooooo bittersweet as to be delicious. Take a great big bite, everyone has eaten a coupla worms once or twice.

Your problem is soooo universal I'm shocked no one else wrote you on it.

Anonymous said...

I did want to say one more thing of a personal nature.

Lost my innocence to a boyfriend of 3 years (my very first at the age of 20) when I found out he was sleeping around. The pain was compounded by the fact that EVERYONE I knew was aware of it but NO ONE told me. So on top of being totally devastated I was also a chump, a fool.

There wasn't any big fight. We continued to see each other over a 2 month time frame after I found out---my need for him was great. I began to hate myself for my weakness, foolishness, whatever you might call it.

One night at work I made a decision for me, for my life, to NOT hate myself. As hard as it was I had to take action. Cried all the way home while driving, not little boo-hoo tears but the gut wrenching soul ending kind where the rubber meets the road (in fact I could barely see the road and could hardly get out of the car) BUT--I accomplished my goal. I was cleansed of the demon of love bondage to some one who did not deserve my love and loyalty.

Funny thing was he used to bring "the other woman" into my bar and sit there as I had to wait and serve them both. After that ride home and cleansing I never felt a thing for him (maybe pity)

Just like yer pool analogy I dove into the deep end of my emotions and very soul. I knew it was sink or swim and if I was not successful I would always hate myself. I do so love me.

Very shortly thereafter I met Bear, a warm loyal love-bunny like myself. Married for 30 years now. E probably knows more of our strongly independent (two first-born) love and respect than I care to go into here.

But my pain was in the fore when he asked me to marry him, the fear you spoke of raised its ugly head.

So to him I said

I will marry you but

2 rules to abide.

1. No cheating.

2. No physical abuse.
(one slap and I would be done)

I had gone down that road once and walked away, stronger and loving myself more. I knew I could do it again....in a heartbeat.

I would always choose me.

Very liberating, always good to have ground rules.

Like I said. Bear and me=30 years.

There is always a reason for the pain. Ask yerself.

What is the lesson.

I love you. You are so insightful and strong. Take a lifetime to figure it out. I promise to send you yellow roses on yer 30th anniversary. I will instruct E to do so if I'm not around.

Good Luck!!! Luck is required.

Jen said...

mamabear
Thank you so much. This touched me more than you even know. I think maybe this subject is sometimes to uncomfortable for people to comment on.

Its hard to have to admit or even talk about sometimes.

I will think about everything you said. Youre story about your first boyfriend and mine are very similar. I can understand exactly how you felt. Thank you for sharing it with me.

*hug and a kiss mamabear*

I can see why E turned out to be such a good man.

PS He will owe me some roses after all the copy pasting I do for that boy...*grin*

Reckless said...

It's not your "radar", Jen. It's the busted generation that we live in. People are so selfish and nothing is sacred anymore. There are only a few virtuous people left, kid. It comforts me to know that I'm not alone. *hug*

Forzavryheid said...

You should have WAAAAAAAAAAY more faith in yourself Jen.

You are amazing. FACT.