Monday, June 19, 2006

The Road To Hell

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I now understand what this means. I unintentionally hurt a friend. I did this by trying to be his friend and in doing so, getting a little too close and involved in parts of his private life that were really none of my business.

I didn't start out to do this. I am too opinionated and I have a very bad habit of voicing those opinions. And while the two cents that I threw into his path seemed to help him for a short time. He seemed to get some renewed strength from the fact he realized his thinking wasn't off base. That it was normal and even human to have all those thoughts and emotions he was feeling. It was still wrong for me to behave as though I had all the answers.

I don't and wont ever regret getting to know him and be a small part of his life. Because he was and is a good and decent person. And anytime you have the privileged of getting to meet someone like that its never a bad thing. My mistake was not letting a very sensitive and private matter stay just that.....Private.

I figured out to late that just because we are given the details to someone's personal life, doesn't mean we have a license to comment on it. Its far to easy to sit on the sidelines being an armchair quarterback. Telling them what play you would make if it were you. Because in truth its not you. You don't have the same things at stake. You don't have the same things to loose as they do. When its not your life its too easy to comment without having to worry about the consequences of your views. Its not quite the same for the person who's having to live it.

Its easy to do the wrong thing and then try and justify yourself by saying you are doing it for the right reasons. Because unintentional or not..The end result is still the same and the damage is done. So to my friend for over stepping my bounds with our friendship...Rocketman, I know that saying I'm sorry doesn't seem like very much. They are just words. But I am and I mean that sincerely.

Always your friend,
Jen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jen,
You're an angel. Don't be so hard on yourself. Your opinions are priceless and your mind is so clear. I will never regret having known you. It was a pleasure and a privilege.*hug and soft kiss*

-Rocketman

Jen said...

Dear Rocketman,
Thank you. That means a lot to me. I wish for nothing but good things and happiness for you. I hope all works out.

*hugs*
~Jen~