Thursday, April 06, 2006

Just Thinking Again...

Relationships are like a bon fire....They burn the brightest and hottest when first kindled. The flames from that fire are the highest in the beginning when the fire is new. Even after time...when the flames dwindle...new fuel can be added to keep the fire going.

But everything has to be fed. Nothing exists on its own. Just as a fire needs new fuel and oxegen to exist. A relationship has to have that mutual fuel of emotional contact to continue to thrive. Its that circle...that feeding of one person to another that keeps it alive.

If you dont have that...Just as with a fire..it will continue to burn only as long as there is something to fuel it, but without that, eventually it starts to die.

I had always thought myself to be a fairly strong person. But I have come to see that I have the very human weakness of needing that fuel. I need the emotional contact...that quiet, often simple emotional link that is the fuel that keeps me going.


Being the fixer that I am by nature....Realizing this simple truth....makes me feel sad and sort of helpless. There are somethings that werent meant to be fixed alone. If I try to look for the postitive in all this it would be...That I would rather have had this fire in my life even for a brief time than....never to have known it at all.

Love is a friendship that has caught fire.
It is quiet understanding,
mutual confidence,
sharing and forgiving.
It is loyalty through good and bad.
It settles for less than perfection,
and makes allowances for human weakness.
Love is content with the present.
It hopes for the future and it doesn't brood over the past.
It's the day-in and day-out chronicle of irritations, problems, compromises,
small disappointments, big victories, and working toward common goals.

If you have love in your life,
it can make up for a great many things you lack.
If you don't have it,
no matter what else there is,
it is not enough.
~Author Unknown~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww.. I like this entry. Makes me wanna feel loved, and love someone in return, and see how long we can keep that bonfire burning.

Reckless said...

Hey, kiddo. You're not alone there. I got my heart dragged through a sh!t mound over the last year. I came through it all insisting that I was "alone but not lonely." I am introverted and I've always insisted on not needing anyone...until I met my wife and I realized that I was missing so much in life. I had to quit grad-school and take a job in the oil fields to pay her student loans. I didn't mind because I loved her. Then I came home to find that she'd run off with some guy from work. She said "She just couldn't handle having a husband who worked in the mud and snow, that she wanted a house in the burbs and white-collar husband." That flame died pretty quickly. But, you know, I'd do it all over again, because the few years that we had were wonderful. Just having someone to share the adventures of life with is worth all the risk in the world.