Tuesday, November 15, 2005

From The Inside Out....

What is it about a person that makes them attractive to us? Is it their eyes, their smile, their legs or chest? What if we weren't able to see someone and get a first impression from the way they looked to us?

That may sound like a shallow question. But I have had both males and females tell me..While its true they want someone with a good personality, there has to be that physical attraction.

Does there really? This is my thinking..

You are walking down the street..You see this incredibly beautiful female...In your eyes she is very attractive...So you take the next step and make eye contact or try and speak to her. If she seems receptive, then you possibly proceed to the next step. Which is what? Talking or maybe even asking her out? But what if this goddess opens her mouth and speaks and you find out she is the most rude, self centered, airheaded, B*tch.....You have ever had the pleasure of talking to. Is she still beautiful? Or did your feelings and opinion change because of how she behaved?

Or you meet another girl on the same street. This girl isn't scare little children ugly, but more of a plain Jane. Not the you light up my life beauty of the first girl... She passes you on the same street, but because she's not really your type...You don't bother to make eye contact or try and say Hi. In short, you don't take that first initial step toward meeting and speaking to find out who she is and what she's like. But what if girl number two is incredible? She's intelligent and funny, kind, caring, respectful, has good morals, and values. She loves sports, is into all the things you find enjoyable. And last but not least....She wants all the same kinds of things you want from life and views the world similar to the way you do. But because she wasn't you're type you never ever said the first word..Hi.

I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better if we all had the chance to meet backwards. I know a woman who met her husband online. It was a chance meeting and I wont go into all those details now.. I will just say that they met and hit it off immediately. They found after chatting only a short time that they had quite a lot of things in common in the way they viewed the world. To the point of almost finishing each others sentences. They both spoke pretty frequently over the next year. Pretty much every day. It wasn't until they had known each other a while, that my friend got up enough nerve to exchange photos with this person. It wasn't so much that she didn't want to share her photo...Although that was part of it...But she also wasn't sure if she wanted to know what he looked like. Its like reading a book and then seeing the same book made into a movie.. Sometimes you get disappointed because the characters in the movie are nothing like the way you pictured them to be.

But this chatting back and forth about everything under the sun had started some deep feelings for both of them and she felt as though she were falling in love with this person..And he had similar feelings for her. They finally exchanged a few photos...And to be honest...He wasn't an ugly guy by any means but....he wasnt exactly her type either...If he had passed her on the street I do not think she would have said "Oh Id really like to meet that guy". And truthfully...I think it was pretty much the same for him too...Not the type of female he was usually attracted to. But they had already grown to care about each other. Past the point of it really mattering that they weren't their ideal physical types.

Long story, short....They spoke online for a year before they met each other in person...They lived about 1500 miles apart. Then after the first face to face meeting...They continued to meet...Traveling back and forth for another year....Before becoming engaged...Then they did this again for another year...Before actually getting married. After the marriage he relocated himself to her state where they live now and have been for the past 4 years...Happily married...

The thing that always strikes me about this story is...She used to tell me that she met her husband backwards...She met him from the inside out.....That idea got me thinking...How many people do we pass on because the first view of them says they are not our type?...Or for that matter how many crappy relationships do we get in and stay in because we are physically attracted to the other person enough to be infatuated with them...And convince ourselves its love?

Maybe its not about the physical at all..Maybe true beauty is within...Maybe we need to try and meet a few people backwards.

22 comments:

Vishwa said...

Ahhh, jen,
This is just fantastic stuff. Where on earth do you get such ideas, and how the hell do you find such clarity in expressing them? You've given expression to the unspoken words hidden in every human heart.

JgStephan said...

You have said everything, what could I write to this?
This is a wonderful post Jen, you are brilliant!!

Jen said...

vishwa

Thank you for the comments..I have been told that I think to much. I suppose I do...I see things like this big puzzle that I have to turn over and figure out how it all works. I love a mystery.


jgstephan

Thank you Stephan : )
You think its brilliant because you are my brother from another mother and have to think this..lol

Jen said...

jef

I dont want to sterotype anyone. I dont want it to sound as though because you are a plain Jane or the girl next door... that youre options are limited there for you are more tollerant or easy to be with...Because in all honesty I have known a few what you might call plain Jane types who were not at all nice people.

On the other hand I have also known some of what I would call beautiful females that were the most down to earth genuine people you would ever want to meet...I can actually name at least 4 right now that I myself know off the top of my head.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you cant look at how a package is wrapped to know if youre going to like the gift inside.

PS..This post was using females as an example..but the same pricipal applies to males too.

Jenn Doll said...

Um, I can't read a post that hits so close to my heart and listen to such a beautiful song.

I got a little emotional and you gave me the chills and the song only added to it.

I'll have to come back when I can get myself together!

But, Jen, for this you are my hero of the week.

Jen said...

Thank you for that Jenn.
It means alot to me.

ps..this is a true story..so anything is possible right?

Jenn Doll said...

Anything IS possible. That story's happened more than once, Jen...

Jen said...

Thomas
Hi right back at you from me...lol


Jenn
Heres to all the possiblities...



the Desolate Cubicle
You said that perfectly..I couldnt agree with you more..I have always felt thats how you know its real..
Thank you for the coments...

Jen said...

Thomas
Well Id like to be able to say "Why yes I am, I am wise beyond my years"..But since I hardly know you..I do not feel the need to go and start lying to you right off the bat. lol...

Truth is..I have had alot of time to think about all this because I have been dumped ALOT.

And there was a time in my life not to long ago..that I was completely invisable to the opposite sex, let alone most everyone else..

Id like to think that maybe..Its a combination of being curious about the way life works and the way people think. Maybe having a mom who talked to me until my brian went numb..or maybe just learning from past mistakes...take your pick..

: )

Jen said...

Thomas
Cant argue with the logic of a wise man. So I will just say thank you Thomas. : )

Forzavryheid said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Forzavryheid said...

See you in South Africa : )

Jenn Doll said...

Um, I've been stalking your blog. You may notice that I stayed at it for at least an hour last night. I'm totally obsessed with that James Blunt song/video and I just thought you should know why I've been spending so much time here at all hours of the night. You should by now that the person on your stat counter/site meter at vampire hours is yours truly. Just thought I'd let you know so you don't get scared 'n stuff. :)

Jen said...

Jenn
Dork...stalk away. lol

I love this song/artist too. Our favorite South African blogger..sent me James Blunt for the first time months ago. Hes not widely known here yet...but hes pretty popular in the UK.

This is not only the first song of his I had ever heard, but its also my favorite. : )

Jenn Doll said...

They play him on the radio out here! I'm gonna have to get a CD. =D

Our favorite South African blogger has good taste in music! Oh, and girls! ;)

PNA said...

i can empathise with ur friend because we (my fiance and me) found each other while chatting. it is truely wonderful to know a person from the inside. we too started as strangers to aquaintances to friends to best friends to soul mates. it is so identical to my life tht i feel it is my bit of a story of the last 2 1/2 years.

Jen said...

aSh
Awwwww That is so great!! Congratulations on finding that special person. The people in my post that this happened to are very close to me, and I have seen how happy they are now, since meeting and marrying.

So I want to wish you and your special person best of luck with your future life and all the happiness that life can offer.


Jenn

You are such a sweetheart. Thank you for saying that.

I was so touched by your last post. Your little boy is an incredible kid..You are a great Mom and doing an amazing job of raising him. I have so much respect for you, you have no idea.

Anonymous said...

The only problem with meeting people on the interweb is that eventually my 55 year old perverted hairy guy identity will be discovered, and no longer will I be the e-pimp that I am.

Wish I had more time to answer this seriously. lol

I will say this about physical beauty: I keep saying I'm more attracted to brunettes, but whenever I find myself drooling a puddle and totally nuts over a woman she happens to be blonde.

Jen said...

dreadcow
First of all..You know that I have enough photographic evidence in my possesion right now to blow that whole 55 year old hairy guy thing right out of the water.

So I think your reputation as an E-PIMP will live to see another day.

Oh and about the whole drooling over blondes thing..your talking about me now right?...Go ahead admit it..Oh wait, Leslies blonde too...Damn it!

LOL.. J/K sweetie..glad your back. Ive missed ya.

Jen said...

Hulabelly
Thank you for the kind words. You speak from the heart and thats never clumsy. : )


Johnny Retail
No crashing involved..You are more than welcome to stop by and comment anytime. Theres always room for one more : )

p.s. Thank you


Curator
Thank you for the kind words..


Thomas
Happy Thanksgiving to you too...

Reckless said...

My God! Jen, you've done it again. You should write a newspaper column or something. Everyone should be reading this stuff. Keep it up. *grin*

Anonymous said...

Wow, nice story Jen... are they still happily married going on 3 years after this post?

I hope so.

It definitely has me intrigued meeting somebody backwards. I think one problem is that sometimes personalities change from print to public, meaning that the personality you read on print isn't exactly what you get in person.

I'm thankful I'm not like that thanks to my brother's wife who after reading a blog I set up for a church camp said, "I love the way you write, it's as if you're right there talking to me."

I like the opening paragraph too, it reminded me of this post I made back in Oct 2005 about male body parts.

And I know I've mentioned this before on my blog, but if an unattractive woman does all the right things I don't think she could ever get beyond the "just friends" limit. If though I met an ordinary girl who didn't turn me away, but never kept me staring, had an awesome smile, and we got on very well then they will be far more attractive than a girl who is supermodel quality but containing no depth.

In fact, the only thing I think a woman ever needs to have physically worked on (if she needs it) is her teeth. Women have got it all wrong if they think enlarging their breasts is the answer to blokes falling left right and center! And if women then worked on flashing that smile more often I think you'll find many blokes would love their company.