Monday, September 19, 2005

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK

(Advancement Through Technology)











I just read an article about a German inventor who has come up with a way of producing an organic diesel fuel. Sounds good so far right? I sure thought so. This creative guy has figured out how to produce a bio-diesel fuel for about $1.35 a gallon... And with gas prices being what they are who wouldn't love that?

Well here's where the controversy comes in. This inventor has gotten the animal rights people all upset......Because apparently one of his ingredients is dead cats. He says that he uses a blend of garbage, roadkill cats and other ingredients to produce the miracle fuel. The inventors firm states, that it takes about 20 dead cats added to this blend of garbage and other ingredients to produce enough fuel to fill an 11 gallon tank.

The President of the German Society for the Protection of Animals warns that using dead cats to produce fuel is illegal.

Ok now, before the cat lovers jump on me...I don't have anything against cats. I realize that sometimes we become very attached to our pets. It just seems funny to me that there would be so much controversy over using a dead animal to produce a fuel source. The inventor isn't whisking poor little Fluffy away in the dead of night, only to grind him up so that we can all spend a little less at the gas pumps. Naturally, if this were the case I would have a problem with it too. But using what was described as road kill animals and garbage to produce this low cost bio-fuel doesn't seem like a really bad plan to me. It actually seems rather creative. Especially in a world where we are so dependent on fossil fuels and other countries to provide a lot of those said fuels. Its about time we had someone thinking outside the box.

Or maybe litter box, depending on how you want to look at it.

14 comments:

Forzavryheid said...

AMAZING.

Cruelty to dead animals, huh?

Last time I checked all dead animals had to be buried or incinerated anyway- so if it is gonna get me to work lank cheaper, I'll gladly chuck every dead cat into the fuel tank of my car...

I SEE NO PROBLEM WITH IT! : )

(Deutschland Uber Alles)

Jen said...

Adrian
I agree..I think its important to keep your mind open to new ideas...When it comes to fuel sources we need some.

JgStephan said...

Till now, I haven't read this although I live in Germany. Such important reports are always in small print in hidden, someplace in the newspaper. Unimportant things are big and can be found easy. See Adrian's post...

This is an ingenious invention! I love cats and now still more. ;)
Actual Adrian has already written what I wanted to write.

Adrian: YOU are a legend!!

Jen said...

JgStephan
If it makes you feel any better, it was in small print hidden inside our local paper too...LOL

Unknown said...

It could be a good idea, but I'm not really sure I believe these cats were all already dead just because this guy says so.

And thinking on a chemical level, there's nothing particularly biochemically special about a cat that makes it a good fuel additive...

It could be good. I'd need to see more lab data.

Jen said...

Stu-man
Hey Stu! Very glad to see you alive and well. I hadnt thought about alternative uses for the rest of the kitty...Or even if there is a rest of the kitty since they are supposed to be roadkill...But why not..I think you should go for it. : )


Megan
The fact that they only mention cats was the first question I had thought of..If the invention or formula for creating the fuel has to have some animal contents to work...why cats? And it does seem odd to me that can find that many "roadkill cats" to produce their fuel.
The article originated from the "Bild" newspaper. I am guessing this is a german publication? However in the local paper I read it in there was also an email: contactauthor@earthweek.com

timmy G said...

if he wouldnt to creat ALOt of this fuel he would need to have a lot of dead cats.. and well i unno something doesnet seem right, so if my cat goes missing i know where to check :P

Jen said...

timmy G
Yea,dosent sound like the answer to all the worlds fuel problems does it? I think your cats probably safe for the moment. lol
I still have to say its an interesting idea and I think its great that someones at least thinking outside the box.

exMI said...

I am rather doubtfull. I think it is easier to make fuel out of plants than dead animals and if you oculd do it with a cat you could do it with any other critter running around.
Personally, I wnat to get a diesel and run it off used french fry greese. It works and your car always smells like fries.....

zybdnx

Jen said...

exMI
Ok you are probably right..first of all I do not see cats in large enough numbers throwing themselves infront of oncoming traffic to make this the answer to the fuel shortage.
Secondly..I have thought about this point as well..if you can use cats why not dead woodland creatures (deer,rabbits or opossum)?
I know plant material as it decays produces energy or heat..But doesnt other decaying matter do this too?
And lastly..while the french fry oil sounds like a good alternative.I would prefer not to smell like a french fry. How does chocolate work? LOL

The Virtual Gamer aka: Hevvy Metahl said...

I have three dogs that would contribute to the supply! there are NO stray cats in My nieghborhood.

Eat2Live - Michele said...

I think putting special contraptions in car seats to capture natural gas would really help!

Jen said...

The Virtual Gamer
Ahhh how much kitty is actually left after your dogs are done "playing with them"?



Michele's Mumblings
Ok now your thinking outside the box...I know quite a few guys who could make this plan work no problem. LOL

Forzavryheid said...

Student Travels Myrtle Beach United States.

DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES!!