Saturday, August 13, 2005

"Well Behaved Women Don't Make History"

I recently heard this quote used. "Well Behaved Women Don't Make History" It got me thinking. Do I really want to go through life never making a mistake? First of all I cant. No one can. Secondly, if I'm not out in the world where mistakes happen, then how will I ever become who I am supposed to be?

This past year, the world has seemed huge and over overwhelming to me. I have not had any idea of where I would go next and it seemed safest to just stay still and tread water. But I have begun to realize this head in the sand mentality isn't going to take me anywhere. I was feeling intimidated by the fact that everyone seemed to have a plan for their future except me. The few interests I had, photography and writting seemed very far out of reach. Both of these felt as if they were more of "Pie In The Sky" type day dreams than something I could actually obtain. More recently, I have gotten some advise from a couple of people (I will say friends) new to my life. They have helped me put a few things into perspective about the world.

First of all....Its not quite as large as I once thought it was. I have learned that I'm not alone in making mistakes or figuring out my life. That there are a lot of people all over the world in the same boat I'm in, asking the same questions of themselves. Both of these friends said to learn from my past experiences and use them to move toward a future. Saying basically learn from your screw ups and move on. This is good advise. Lets face it we all make mistakes. Its how we choose to deal with those mistakes and use them in our life that matters. I don't like falling on my ass, but I'm sure I will a few more times before its over. Not being afraid of the fall is half the battle. As long as I get back up isn't that the important part? I may not be making history, but I am making progress.


To the couple of people out there who gave me this good advise. Thank you. Sometimes you need to hear it from someone else who's already been there for it to sink in.

8 comments:

Forzavryheid said...

AMEN.

Glad to see you realised it, now

MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!!

(Of ek sal)

exMI said...

If you like photography and writing study photography and writing. Even better, take pictures and write. Do your dream, don't let the "world" dictate your future.

Jen said...

exMI..You know your right. Adrian has been pretty much saying the same thing to me. I guess the only thing that holds me back is fear and this feeling of where do I begin?

Jen said...

Adrian...Thank you again for all the long talks. You are amazing in every sense of the word.
Lief vir jou

Forzavryheid said...

Enige tyd, skone dame!

LOVE the chats, speak to you soon!

exMI said...

YOu have already begun writing witht eh Blog. Now write and submit for publication. Same thing for photos, take pictures, enter them in contests, volunteer to take pictures for the local newspaper until they start to call you up then ask for money. Don't get so caught up in other things that you ignore what you love.
I have a friend, (hard to believe I know) who is a writer. She has actually been PAID for fiction she has written. Whihc puts her ahead of many people who write. but she hasn't written in the last two years becasue she is caught up in ajob that she hates and let's it dictate her time and mood. I cannot understand it at all.

Jen said...

exMI..This is good advise. I guess I will never know what I can do it until I try. It would be amazing if I could actually pull it off tho wouldnt it? Thanks exmi : )

Jen said...

The Zombie Lama..I think youre right. Its good advise. Thank you.