Saturday, December 23, 2006

Off The Chain And Over The Fence

The US has come up with the best idea yet to solve the problem of keeping individuals from crossing this countries borders and illegally entering our country. For those of you who don't know about this truly revolutionary idea..Its a fence.

Yep that's right a chain link fence. A very long.....very tall chain link fence. The idea being that we are going to literally fence off our country from Mexico thus eliminating those pesky unauthorized visitors.

Now..correct me if I'm wrong here...But a lot of these "visitors" are crossing over the border in the dead of night. They are in some cases walking across desert in harsh and even life threatening conditions. They will evade border patrols, swim rivers, get stuffed into trunks of cars, the back of trucks, whatever means necessary to get themselves from Mexico to the US. These all sound like some pretty extreme risks to take wouldn't you say?

So excuse me for raising my eyebrows slightly when the concept of a chain link fence is thought to be the answer.

Hmmmmm could it be that maybe the powers that be are under the impression that those crossing over our borders from the south aren't able to climb over...dig under or simply cut a fence to get past it? Or maybe they are thinking because some of these people are poor..They are also too stupid to think of a way around a fence? If so, Id like to point out that poor does not equate with stupid.

While I realize that this fence is also suppose to have some high tech extras..such as cameras, sensors and even listening devices installed along it. I have to ask myself when I cant even get my cable or DSL to function properly all the time..Is this high tech fence really going to be without its own laundry list of technical difficulties? Plus..as we all know..each time we create some new high tech gizmo designed to make things fool proof..there is always some hacker out there trying to prove us wrong.

Along with the vast distance that needs to be covered already being a problem..... From what I read..there may not be enough funding to actually complete more than 700 miles of the fence already being built..... Definitly not enough to complete the entire job which is over 1900 miles.

Lastly and also somewhat ironically...The company that was hired to build this fence is now in a lot of hot water. Being fined some 15 million dollars for using illegal immigrants to build the same fence designed to keep them out.

Common..you gotta love the humor in that one...

15 comments:

Forzavryheid said...

Gotta love IRONY!!!

I reckon its time to invest in lions!

It works in South Africa.

Jen said...

Adrian
Lions huh....That might just solve several problems....I wonder if lions eat BUNNIES?

Lief vir jou engel

Forzavryheid said...

JEN: Lions eat ANYTHING that moves!!

Especially a runner (like illegals)- so it might just be the solution!! : )

BAIE lief vir jou!!

Jen said...

Adrian
You may have just given me the answer to helped me solve the nasty bunny boiler problem.

I bet things running in high heels are easy to catch huh?

Thank you sweetie.

Forzavryheid said...

ANYTIME SWEETHEART!! ; )

ALWAYS HAPPY TO HELP.

Forzavryheid said...

And by the way- if its YOU running in heels?

I'LL BE THE ONE CHASING YOU!!

Jen said...

Adrian
FYI: If you see a girl running in heels...two things you need to know:
She is either stupid or she wants to be caught.

So if you EVER see me running..YOU do the math.

exMI said...

Merry Christmas Jen. The fence they built witht eh illegal workers was one in Cali a few years ago. But you are right, the fence is a boondoggle to make peopel feel good and so politicians can say "Look at what we have done!" It won't accomplish much.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen (and Adrian!)

The ending of that story truly IS ironice! The company building the fence is being questioned over the use of illegal immigrants!?!

I'm not sure if there is a fix for this problem - I do hope something good comes of it all though.

Hope you guys all had a great Christmas : )


Michael-From-The-Future!
---> QUESTION of the DAY ! <---

Forzavryheid said...

Thanks Michael!!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. It, gave me ideas for mine.

Jenn Doll said...

Proud to be an American! Where at least I can be fenced! And I proudly stand up... across the fence...

That was lame, but yeah.

MISS YOU!

Anonymous said...

Just wanna wish you a Happy New Year!
May you'll have a great year ahead.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

And I hope to hear from you again =)

Your's sincerely,
Matthew,
Malaysia.

Anonymous said...

I feel there is a better way indeed, and your points are poignant!

hey.. any friend of Jenns is a friend of mine!

cheers!

Jen said...

exmi
Belated Merry Christmas wishes...and Happy New Year to you and yours..

I agree...I think its more for show than because they truly believe it will solve anything.



Michael from the future
I beleive every problem has a solution. However I think we have to realize that no matter what the answer..we never going to find one that pleases everyone.

But litterally closing off access I think is alittle too simplistic of a solution.


John-Jack
Thank you. I liked your blog too. Come back anytime! Have a happy New Year.



Jenn
HEY GIRL! I missed you. Where have you been? Im glad to see you back again. Did you have a Merry Christmas?

Ill try and email you soon. I hope you and your little boy have a great New Year.

Love ya!



Matthew

Thank you Matthew. I hope you enjoy your new year too. Sounds like you have a good one ahead of you. I enjoyed youre blog.

Hope to see you back again. : )



HMT
So you and Jenn are friends? Shes great and rocks in my book.

Thank you for the comments to my blog. Jenns friends are always welcome. : )

Have a Happy New Year.