Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Bunny Ritual

They dress you up in a big poofy dress..Made from some sort of pastel colored scratchy stiff material..Hence the poofyness of it...

Put huge bows in your hair.... Big enough to pick up TV stations in third world countries.....And patent leather shoes on your little feet......

Then they have you run all over a yard, to look for eggs that they have colored in colors no self respecting chicken would claim. Harmless you say? Have you ever tried to run in wet grass with patent leather on your feet?

Then to add insult to injury...They expect you to believe that a large rabbit left all these eggs for you to find, not to mention a basket chalked full of every kind of chocolate goody you can imagine.

Just when you think its finally gotten good...You're mom tells you that you can only have one piece.

WHAT?!!???

Have you ever noticed that even though you are restricted to only one piece...That the contents of the basket seems to mysteriously shrink from morning to morning? I remember quite clearly telling my mom on a number of occasions that I really didn't care for jelly beans...Her reply was "sure you do..They are good". It seems to me that she was the only one who liked them. Those too mysteriously disappeared from my basket...

Coincidence I think not!

Then at some point usually before the egg ordeal...... You attend church with the family... And are forced to sit in same scratchy yet still remarkably poofy dress. On a hard wooden pew....That creaks anytime you decide to move. Drawing the attention of the entire congregation to you...Which in turn draws attention from your mother...Not a place you want to be in church.

You sit there for hours listening to old people sing off key hymns and learn that about a billion years ago...The Son of God was dead and then did rise from the grave.....

Miracle or Sci-fi channel?

Sad thing is...Someday when I have a daughter I will probably stuff her into a scratchy poofy dress...Slap some big bows on her head..Strap patent leather shoes to her little feet and march her off to look for eggs from the mysterious and elusive bunny.

Don't you just love holiday traditions..



Side Note: My personal favorite Easter tradition involves a hollow chocolate bunny and a can if whip cream.....You do the math



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanx for the trip down memory lane. And that is exactly how it was. Your writing is excellent. My son has a true friend, thank you.

Jen said...

Mamabear
Awwwww thank you so much for the compliment. I feel very lucky to have a friend like E~ He was raised right : )

exMI said...

Strange, I don't recall being stuffed into a poofy dress.......

but free chocolate is ALWAYS a GOOD thing.

Jen said...

exmi
WHAT?!? You missed out on the whole poofy dress experience? NOOOOOOO say its not so!

But your right...Free chocolate is always a good thing..unless you can only have one piece. : )

exMI said...

That my dear is when you get sneaky.....

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. However, I believe you are referring to PATENT leather, not PATIENT leather shoes. Unless you were asked to wear shoes that were VERY understanding... ;-)

Jen said...

Anonymous
LOL You are quite right...I guess once again my typer was two steps ahead of my speller. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

Im glad you liked the post..thanks for the comments.